Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Antoninus Pius? Amaseia, Pontus? Ae 20 mm 6.36g  (Read 1568 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Antoninus Pius? Amaseia, Pontus? Ae 20 mm 6.36g
« on: October 11, 2014, 05:56:05 pm »
I acquired this nice Ae Roman provincial coin.  The seller identified it as Antoninus Pius.  It measures 20 mm and weighs 6.36g.  There appears to be an altar on the reverse.  Could it be an issue of Amaseia, Pontus?  Could it be Trajan with the PA over the bust?  Any help would be appreciated.  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
Re: Antoninus Pius? Amaseia, Pontus? Ae 20 mm 6.36g
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 05:59:49 pm »
Not Antoninus Pius, in my opinion. Looks like Trajan, to my old eyes.
PeteB

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 12:42:52 am »

cf Dalaison 23.

c.rhodes

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 11:08:32 am »
So it is Trajan?
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Automan

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Silver and Gold? -Yuck!
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 02:54:20 pm »
Yes.

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 07:46:41 am »
Thank you for all your assistance in identifying this interesting Roman Provincial.  Pogh_poor

All coins are guaranteed for eternity