Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Anonymous Republican Sextans - overstruck?  (Read 424 times)

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
Anonymous Republican Sextans - overstruck?
« on: October 08, 2014, 11:59:35 pm »
I'm interested in your opinions on whether this AE Sextans is an overstrike.  I think it may be, based on the fabric and the possible under-type remnants at 1-3 o'clock on the obverse rim

Anonymous, after 211 BC
AE Sextans
27mm, 8.5 g
Obv: Head of Mercury r. wearing winged petasus:dots2_2: above
Rev: Prow right; ROMA above; :dots2_2: below
Ref: Crawford 56/6

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Re: Anonymous Republican Sextans - overstruck?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 04:02:13 am »
It's almost certainly an overstrike. A high proportion of bronzes of this era, 215-210BC, have overstrike traces, so if there's any trace then it's a presumed overstrike. Check RRC table XVIII, the relative numbers of each undertype are a good guide to what you should look for. Whilst table XVIII is not necessarily comprehensive it is supplemented by the additional overstrikes collected by Charles Hersh, which he donated to the British Museum. Go to my main website, link in the footer, and put 41/9 into the British Museum search field and it'll find any relevant examples. Alternately putting overstrike in the same search field gives good results. With a little detective work you will figure the undertype and its orientation.

Nice coin. I hope you now own it. Had it had no bids, then I'd have gone for it, but I was content to see that someone liked it, so I kept my mouse off the bid button. I always like to see nice RR bronzes appreciated.

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
Re: Anonymous Republican Sextans - overstruck?
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 06:51:56 am »
Andrew:

Thanks for confirming my suspicions and for the additional information and tips.  Yes, I now own the coin. I suspect that all the evidence of over-striking,  which I found attractive, put off most other bidders! I will follow your leads to try to identify the under-type.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity