Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help to ID these medieval coins  (Read 3444 times)

Vergilius

Help to ID these medieval coins
« on: October 06, 2014, 12:48:46 pm »
Can anyone help me to identify these three medieval coins?  Any help will be much appreciated!

Vergilius

Re: Help to ID these medieval coins
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 02:15:38 pm »
I suppose the one to the right is a Venetian Grosso

Offline Quant.Geek

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 02:44:44 pm »
The Venetian Grosso had been copied by several Eastern Christian kingdoms.  However, there are several distinguishing features that can tell them apart.  Apart from the legends indicating the ruler, the main features that can be used to identify these coins is the 3 letters next to the banner.  The Venetian Grosso has DVX next to the banner indicating dūx or Doge.  Here is a Venetian Grosso of Giovanni Dandolo (1328-1339):

The Bulgarian Grosh had either IPR (for emperor) or CAR (for tsar).  Consider the Bulgarian Grosh of Mihail Assen III Šišman (1323-1330):

Finally, the Serbian Dinar had REX for King as in the following coin of Stefan Uros II Milutin (1282-1321):

So based on the above, the coin to the right is a Venetian Grosso, but the image is too small for me to determine the Doge.  As for the coin on the left, it also looks like a Venetian Grosso, but I can't tell because it is too small and I am having a hard time reading the 3 letters.  You can use the information above to determine what it says.  The middle coin is a Bulgarian Half Groší of Ivan Šišman (1371–1395):

Vergilius

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 03:26:44 pm »
Thanks a lot, that is very useful information!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity