Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Byzantine Coins (Moderators: vercingetorix, wileyc, Paleologos)  |  Topic: Unlisted Byzantine coins 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unlisted Byzantine coins  (Read 20865 times)
Abu Galyon
Caesar

Change we can believe in.

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2011, 11:18:18 am »

Reverse:  C Greek_Omicron N S Tcurl Greek_Lambda N Greek_Omicron S    C '  Greek_Gamma '  N Greek_Omicron S

meaning: Constantine "Caesar" our King  (Constantinos Caesar Basileus Noster), Note that the single  Greek_Gamma in the legend is a spelling error and should be B

Hi byzcoll,

Could one not also read the Γ• as D•  (for Dominus), or is there a compelling reason to prefer  B?

Bill R

byzcoll
Caesar

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2011, 01:01:43 pm »

Hi Bill,

the main reason to prefer b is that it is always b on related dies.

Actually the coin is struck from die version C2.12 in Füegs great work on the corpus of nomismata of the time. Interestingly, only one die of this version is known from two specimens (British Museum and an NAC auction in 1997) and Füeg reads the letter as a b, although it is apparantly a  Greek_Gamma (or maybe even a tilted Greek_Lambda or  Greek_Delta?). This probably has escaped Füeg's attention, may be because the available photos were too small.

Furthermore on other dies there is usually a  Greek_Delta in the place of  N Greek_Omicron S . The  Greek_Delta stands for Despotes. Thus Füeg suggests that the die could  be read  Greek_Delta Greek_Omicron S but he puts a questionmark on that because the context does not make sense. I think basileus noster can be reasonable. If  Greek_Gamma is a tilted  Greek_Lambda which is used for  Greek_Alpha in these inscriptions it could even be augustus noster, but that is also an unusual title. (And  Greek_Gamma standing for  Greek_Delta would make it despotes noster.)

These inscriptions surely can be tough to interprete.

The coin above seems to be the third specimen from that reverse die.

byzcoll
byzcoll
Caesar

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2011, 04:10:23 pm »

This is an apparently unpublished and unique variety of a silver histamenon of Alexius I, Constantinople mint. Sold by FORVM.

It resembles the type Sear 1893, but Alexius is holding a scepter with three cross bars at the top instead of a scepter with a star on top.

byzcoll
byzcoll
Caesar

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2011, 04:20:20 pm »

This fall two sepcimens of a new variety of a silver histamenon of Alexius I, Constantinople mint, have been offered at auction in Munich, Germany.

They are similar to the type Sear 1893, but the emperor holds a scepter in the shape of a simple cross instead of a sceptre with a star on top.

byzcoll
byzcoll
Caesar

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2011, 04:40:49 pm »

A few specimens of this (still) unpublished histamena of Alexius I have appeared on the market over a period of at least 12 years.

They have been recorded as electrum as well as silver coins. I could not find a note on the diameter, but the compact appearance would argue for the mint of Thessalonica.

On the obverse Christ is seated on a throne without a back. He is flanked by two crescents and the inscription overlineIC  -  overlineXC  

On the reverse the emperor holding an akakia and a plain globe is blessed by a manus dei. Alexius is flanked by two stars. The legend reads

plus Greek_Alpha Greek_Lambda       Greek_Chi Greek_Iota Greek_omega_small     Greek_Delta Greek_epsilon C Greek_Pi Greek_Omicron Greek_Tau S

Found on acsearch.

byzcoll
Orthodoxcoins
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

CREDENDO VIDIS !

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2011, 01:22:36 pm »

This fall two sepcimens of a new variety of a silver histamenon of Alexius I, Constantinople mint, have been offered at auction in Munich, Germany.

They are similar to the type Sear 1893, but the emperor holds a scepter in the shape of a simple cross instead of a sceptre with a star on top.

byzcoll

Dear byzcoll,
this Alexius I coin type has been published by Mr. Bendall :

Bendall, Simon. Two Rare Byzantine Coins of the Comnenan Dynasty. Numismatic Circular, October 2001

The type is included in
Catalogue of the Late Byzantine coins, vol. I (October 2011) , with number 1.1.2.

http://www.orthodoxcoins.com
Catalogue of the Late Byzantine Coins
Orthodoxcoins
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

CREDENDO VIDIS !

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2011, 01:54:59 pm »

A few specimens of this (still) unpublished histamena of Alexius I have appeared on the market over a period of at least 12 years.

They have been recorded as electrum as well as silver coins. I could not find a note on the diameter, but the compact appearance would argue for the mint of Thessalonica.

On the obverse Christ is seated on a throne without a back. He is flanked by two crescents and the inscription overlineIC  -  overlineXC  

On the reverse the emperor holding an akakia and a plain globe is blessed by a manus dei. Alexius is flanked by two stars. The legend reads

plus Greek_Alpha Greek_Lambda       Greek_Chi Greek_Iota Greek_omega_small     Greek_Delta Greek_epsilon C Greek_Pi Greek_Omicron Greek_Tau S

Found on acsearch.

byzcoll

This new histamenin also have been noted by Bendall and now is included in
Catalogue of the Byzantine Coins, vol. I, under number 1.1.4.

byzcoll
Caesar

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2011, 02:42:01 pm »

Thanks for the information. I guess I need to order a copy of your book!  Smiley

byzcoll
Orthodoxcoins
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

CREDENDO VIDIS !

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2011, 02:50:52 pm »

Smiley Smiley Smiley
I believe it's a good Christmas present Smiley)))

Aktina
Praetorian

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2012, 10:55:01 am »

Quote from: Obryzum on May 25, 2011, 06:44:52 pm
I found another one of these odd Leo VI folles with the AC in the left field.  Antvwala found the first one and posted it in this thread in 2008:

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=50101.0

Then I found a die match in October 2009 and posted it in the same thread.  This week I found a third coin.  All three were struck with the same dies, which leads me to believe that there was probably only one die.  Maybe a special issue for the coronation of Constantine VII (AC= Alexander and Constantine as the joint emperors???).

AC stands for:  Greek_Alpha  Greek_Upsilon Greek_Tau Greek_Omicron Greek_Kappa Greek_Rho Greek_Alpha Greek_Tau Greek_Omicron Greek_Rho Greek_Omicron C

Which means: Emperor
Joe Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM STAFF
Caesar

All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2012, 04:04:05 pm »

I don't recall AC being used to abbreviate Autokrator.  It doesn't seem likely.

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Robert_Brenchley
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Honi soit qui mal y pense.

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2012, 03:11:37 pm »

Would C have been a capital sigma at this period? If so, it would be AS.

Robert Brenchley

My gallery: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum
Aktina
Praetorian

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2012, 07:24:13 pm »

Not correct.

Many ortodox icons still use the C during this period.
Mikka
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2016, 01:28:49 am »

Hello!

It's my first post, so , maybe I'm wrong...
I have this coin in my collection and I have a problem: looks like Sear 805 but with RY 2. In Sear are listed only starting with third RY.
Can you help me?
Thank you.
isauria7
Auxiliary

« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2016, 10:53:09 am »

Again, as in a previous post of mine some days ago, I present a coin which of course does not officially exist.
Barbaric hybrid of Anastasius follis from Antioch (presumably...) with a reverse resembling Iustinianus follis.

tk

I believe this to be an example of a coinage struck in Antioch during the Persian occupation of the city 540-542.  My initial findings were published in the Journal of the Oriental Numismatic Society (JONS) no. 207 (2011) and there was a follow up article in JONS 216 (2013).
Fatih K
Praetorian

« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2016, 09:12:11 am »

Here is one
Joe Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM STAFF
Caesar

All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.

« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2016, 02:56:39 pm »

Here is one

Please identify and describe the coin.

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Simon
Comitia Curiata
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Tetartera Collector

« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2018, 02:21:07 am »

Okay something new for the unlisted board. I have never seen an imitation like it before.
 It is  in a very crude style. I recently won it at auction. It looks like it is from a much earlier time period but in hand it feels like a very flat tetarteron.

Manuel I. Komnenos, 1143-1180 AE-Tetarteron lokaler Beischlag Vs.: Kaiser steht mit Krone, Langkreuz und Kreuzglobus v. v., Rs.: Kreuzmonogramm wohl unpubliziert; vgl. Sear 1979; DOC 22. 2.57 g. RR breit, schwarze Patina, ss-vz

Bellow it is  is an official example. SBCV-1979

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Byzantine Coins (Moderators: vercingetorix, wileyc, Paleologos)  |  Topic: Unlisted Byzantine coins « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop