Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Byzantine Coins (Moderators: vercingetorix, wileyc, Paleologos)  |  Topic: "True Cross" Pilgrim's Tokens 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: "True Cross" Pilgrim's Tokens  (Read 11233 times)
Gert
Caesar

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2016, 04:43:25 pm »

I would have to disagree with you about that, Joe. Sending pieces of the 'true cross' to various churches to be venerated is quite different from destroying a piece of the true cross. Of all the relics, the true cross was considered the most sacred, and to burn even a piece of this most valuable object in the world would be unconceivable. What's more, by this time, there were ways to 'transport' the sacred power of a relic, or a saint, to an object - by touch or by proximity, so to create a token blessing such as these, there was no necessity to destroy a piece of the relic by burning. Check out Gary Vikan's 'Early Byzantine Pilgrimage Art', which will be worth your time reading.
I have also read this theory only in sales descriptions, and I think it is just uncritically copied from one dealer to the next. Still, I'd like to know the source.

Regards
Gert

cmcdon0923
Caesar

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2017, 10:56:54 pm »

I just picked up this example today.

It is 20 mm in diameter and weighs 1.68 grams.

It is a type "d", and I attribute it as a "Mitchiner" 1074 or 1075....with preference towards 1074.

Simon
Comitia Curiata
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Tetartera Collector

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2017, 10:50:37 am »

Congratulations a very nice addition to any collection.

I want one, for my collection, I just have not seen any lately.

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.
cmcdon0923
Caesar

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2018, 10:31:56 pm »

An example just sold on on another coin site, and in the description was this (emphasis, mine):

Intact with natural find patina and original soil deposits adhering which can easily be removed if required. Much clearer representations on the obverse than usual for the type. From the original find that came from Baldwins’ in London circa 1993.

The original find was purchased by Baldwins in London circa 1993. There were two main types in the find: the type shown here and a smaller group showing piece of a different type showing legend around the cross.An example of the second type is in the British Museum collection. Mitchiner devotes a full page to the examples in his collection.

A dealer once mentioned to me about a hoard having been found in a structure in Turkey which he referred to as the "Maker's Hoard".  I wonder if the "find" purchased by Baldwins' is the same as this hoard.  Does anyone know if Baldwins' ever documented and/or published anything about their acquisition of this hoard, or perhaps if they included anything in the descriptions when they sold off pieces?

Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Byzantine Coins (Moderators: vercingetorix, wileyc, Paleologos)  |  Topic: "True Cross" Pilgrim's Tokens « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop