Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Dies of Romanus III Histamenon  (Read 523 times)

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Dies of Romanus III Histamenon
« on: September 22, 2014, 08:12:59 pm »
A pair of surviving dies for a Romanus III histamenon is coming up for auction next week. 

Offline joma-tk

• Caesar
Re: Dies of Romanus III Histamenon
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 01:58:21 am »
I was always wondering what if someone decides to buy such dies and start "producing" coins.
Sear 1819 is a coin sold for approx $500 while its gold content with current price is approx $175.

???

tk

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 02:37:35 am »
My first thought was: I wonder if I can find any die matched coins out there.  I strained my eyes to count how many dots in the hanging robe, as that's a logical place to start with these issues, but I do not see any at all.  Do mine eyes deceive me?  The theory was that the number of dots is some sort of important mark, and here is a set of dies where that part of the die has not be cut yet??? (Or maybe it was and I just cannot see it?)

Offline novacystis

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 11:50:42 am »
Here are the dies reversed inverted and tinted to better represent what the coins would look like

Colin

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 01:56:54 pm »
I was always wondering what if someone decides to buy such dies and start "producing" coins.
Sear 1819 is a coin sold for approx $500 while its gold content with current price is approx $175.

???

tk

I'm not a metallurgist, but I'd be surprised if the dies would hold up to the force of the blow needed to strike a "coin" after all this time.....or maybe more than a handful of repeated strikes.

Do we know if they are "regal" or perhaps are a counterfeiter's set of dies?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity