Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unknown Auction House (Bougey, Paris)  (Read 907 times)

ajcee7

Unknown Auction House (Bougey, Paris)
« on: September 19, 2014, 07:59:02 am »
Dear all,

I'm currently researching the coinage of the Koinon of Athena Ilias. As part of this project, I am tracking down all the examples listed in A. R. Bellinger, Troy: The Coins (1961). His one example of a coin minted by the magistrate Thersandros (T 38 in his catalogue) has the reference "Bougey Sale (Paris) 5th Dec. 1932". Has anyone heard of Bougey and know where I can find their sales catalogues?

Many thanks,
Aneurin

Offline Rich Beale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Nec Aspera Terrent
    • ROMA NUMISMATICS
Re: Unknown Auction House (Bougey, Paris)
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 08:25:21 am »
Bourgey.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 09:30:45 am »
Dear all,

I'm currently researching the coinage of the Koinon of Athena Ilias. As part of this project, I am tracking down all the examples listed in A. R. Bellinger, Troy: The Coins (1961). His one example of a coin minted by the magistrate Thersandros (T 38 in his catalogue) has the reference "Bougey Sale (Paris) 5th Dec. 1932". Has anyone heard of Bougey and know where I can find their sales catalogues?

Many thanks,
Aneurin

These types of catalogues are very rare and held by very few libraries. Three worldwide options that have nearly 100% holdings of the classic catalogues: The ANS in New York, USA, the Fitzwilliam museum in Cambridge, UK, the BCD library in Athens Greece. Alternately a numismatic library attached to a classics museum, institute or numismatic institute in many European capitals may have a copy. For example the Numismatic Institute in Vienna or the RNS library in London. Given that it is a Paris sale, I suspect thE BNF will have it too. I was reviewing a major personal numismatic library over the last week and I know that specific catalogue, Bourgey 5 Dec 1932, was missing from it. Old catalogues tend to be fragile and wouldn't be leant out so you'll need to visit the relevant library in person. Both the ANS and Fitzwilliam databases are online, the former searchable, the latter via downloadable pdf.

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 09:44:14 am »
Weren't there some corpus books of Bourgey-auctioned, ancient coins published in the 1980's/90's?

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 10:32:52 am »
Quote from: Carausius on September 19, 2014, 09:44:14 am
Weren't there some corpus books of Bourgey-auctioned, ancient coins published in the 1980's/90's?

Yes good point. Well remembered. About 1990 there were two small format books published by Bourgey. One showed lots auctioned by them of Republican coins over the last century. The other showed general ancient coins including presumably some Greek. Low quality photos though. And for the general volume, not that many illustrations, mainly a selection of the greatest coins sold by them.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity