Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help w/ RR Bronze of Sicily - metrology/value of three-dot 'quadrans' ca. 210BC  (Read 1597 times)

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
Andrew McCabe was kind enough to point out some RR bronze overstrikes to evaluate for potentially interesting undertypes.  And that search led to this post.

The BMC has an interesting RR bronze 'quadrans' (three dots) of ca. 210BC from Sicily that is overstruck on another type (unstated in their listing) of coin.  Curious if you experts here on Roman coins can help with what kind of monetary/value/metrological system this coin might be a part of.  It's part of the Hersh collection of RR overstrikes.  This one has special interest for another project so comments from experts here will be helpful.  As the URL for the coin is *insanely* long, here's a bitly shortened version so you can check out the coin:

http://bit.ly/1qLalOx

It weights 17.3 grams so it seems that a 'full unit' (if this is a 1/4) would be ca. 68 grams?  What would that unit be in RR vocabulary?  An 'onkia'?  A 'libra'? ('ounce' or 'pound' ?). 

This is the only one of the Hersch group (58 coins) for which the catalogers are unable to identify the undertype but that now appears to be solved and the answer is pretty interesting, maybe even die-match-verifiable.

Thanks in advance - this has caused a little stir of interest here.

PtolemAE

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Quote from: PtolemAE on September 12, 2014, 07:43:28 pm
Andrew McCabe was kind enough to point out some RR bronze overstrikes to evaluate for potentially interesting undertypes.  And that search led to this post.

The BMC has an interesting RR bronze 'quadrans' (three dots) of ca. 210BC from Sicily that is overstruck on another type (unstated in their listing) of coin.  Curious if you experts here on Roman coins can help with what kind of monetary/value/metrological system this coin might be a part of.  It's part of the Hersh collection of RR overstrikes.  This one has special interest for another project so comments from experts here will be helpful.  As the URL for the coin is *insanely* long, here's a bitly shortened version so you can check out the coin:

It weights 17.3 grams so it seems that a 'full unit' (if this is a 1/4) would be ca. 68 grams?  What would that unit be in RR vocabulary?  An 'onkia'?  A 'libra'? ('ounce' or 'pound' ?).  

This is the only one of the Hersch group (58 coins) for which the catalogers are unable to identify the undertype but that now appears to be solved and the answer is pretty interesting, maybe even die-match-verifiable.

PtolemAE

The unit was an As, which is the currency unit that was originally based on a libra or pound, but no longer weighed a pound. This coin is a quadrans or three uncia, i.e. one quarter of an As, based on an As weight of about 70 grams. That was the normal As weight around the time the denarius was introduced (about 1/4 to 1/5 of a pound) in about 213 BC. The As (unit) of about 70 grams was made in both struck (rare) and cast (common) varieties at this time. Many thousands of bronze coins on this standard (sometimes called postsemilibral, sometimes heavy sextantal) exist today, so there must have been millions produced in this period.

I'd certainly date it earlier than 210. 214-212 is more likely.

I have an example of the same overstrike in my collection. Picture below. It weighs 17.05 grams.

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Hi folks,

I have an example of that coin too, with a beautiful glossy green patina. Mine is also overstruck (I think over a Carthaginian AE coin).

Meepzorp

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
Quote from: PtolemAE on September 12, 2014, 07:43:28 pm
Andrew McCabe was kind enough to point out some RR bronze overstrikes to evaluate for potentially interesting undertypes.  And that search led to this post.

The BMC has an interesting RR bronze 'quadrans' (three dots) of ca. 210BC from Sicily that is overstruck on another type (unstated in their listing) of coin.  Curious if you experts here on Roman coins can help with what kind of monetary/value/metrological system this coin might be a part of.  It's part of the Hersh collection of RR overstrikes.  This one has special interest for another project so comments from experts here will be helpful.  As the URL for the coin is *insanely* long, here's a bitly shortened version so you can check out the coin:

It weights 17.3 grams so it seems that a 'full unit' (if this is a 1/4) would be ca. 68 grams?  What would that unit be in RR vocabulary?  An 'onkia'?  A 'libra'? ('ounce' or 'pound' ?).  

PtolemAE

The unit was an As, which is the currency unit that was originally based on a libra or pound, but no longer weighed a pound. This coin is a quadrans or three uncia, i.e. one quarter of an As, based on an As weight of about 70 grams. That was the normal As weight around the time the denarius was introduced (about 1/4 to 1/5 of a pound) in about 213 BC. The As (unit) of about 70 grams was made in both struck (rare) and cast (common) varieties at this time. Many thousands of bronze coins on this standard (sometimes called postsemilibral, sometimes heavy sextantal) exist today, so there must have been millions produced in this period.

I'd certainly date it earlier than 210. 214-212 is more likely.

I have an example of the same overstrike in my collection. Picture below. It weighs 17.05 grams.

Thank you.  

What's the undertype on yours?  Would it have to have the same undertype to be considered the 'same' as the Hersh/BMC coin?  Or is it just the same Roman type, which is clearly visible.  Can't really make anything out of the undertype on this one while, for the the BMC/Hersh specimen, there's enough visible of the original coin that the undertype may have been identified down to a die match.  

And thanks for the lesson on RR bronze nomenclature.  The 'as' at this time would have been four of these 'quadrans' (3 dots = 3 uncia) pieces.  

Why do you believe 214-212 BC data is more likely than the 210 given by others?

I'd like to get a scans or copies of Hersh's 1953 NC paper on overstruck RR bronzes and his 'Additional Overstrikes' that appears (or appeared) in RRC.  Some study is required here.

PtolemAE

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
Quote from: Meepzorp on September 13, 2014, 01:27:23 am
Hi folks,

I have an example of that coin too, with a beautiful glossy green patina. Mine is also overstruck (I think over a Carthaginian AE coin).

Meepzorp

Great - thanks for adding your comment.  Let's please see a nice photo and determine the undertype.

Thanks,

PtolemAE

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
Quote from: PtolemAE on September 13, 2014, 03:41:18 pm
Hi folks,

Meepzorp

Great - thanks for adding your comment.  Let's please see a nice photo and determine the undertype.

Thanks,

PtolemAE

Hi PAE,

Unfortunately, I don't have photos of my coins. I wanted to take photos of my entire ancient coin collection this past Summer, but I got sidetracked because of my bronze disease issues, which I wrote about extensively in another section of this forum. It consumed so much of my time. It is now September, and the school year has started again. So, I am busy helping my niece with her homework again. I won't have time time to take photos of my collection until January. Hopefully, I can do it at that time, and I am tentatively scheduling it for January.

When I finally get around to photographing my collection, I will probably (but not definitely) post the photos online. I am leaning more toward "yes" than "no". I'll see.

When I finally get photos of that particular coin, I'll try to post them here in this thread (if I remember).

Meepzorp

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
Quote from: Meepzorp on September 14, 2014, 06:59:05 am
Quote from: PtolemAE on September 13, 2014, 03:41:18 pm
Hi folks,

Meepzorp

Thanks,

PtolemAE

Hi PAE,

Unfortunately, I don't have photos of my coins. I wanted to take photos of my entire ancient coin collection this past Summer, but I got sidetracked because of my bronze disease issues, which I wrote about extensively in another section of this forum. It consumed so much of my time. It is now September, and the school year has started again. So, I am busy helping my niece with her homework again. I won't have time time to take photos of my collection until January. Hopefully, I can do it at that time, and I am tentatively scheduling it for January.

When I finally get around to photographing my collection, I will probably (but not definitely) post the photos online. I am leaning more toward "yes" than "no". I'll see.

When I finally get photos of that particular coin, I'll try to post them here in this thread (if I remember).

Meepzorp

Hope all the BD problems are in the rearview mirror.  The utility of good quality coin photos (with size, weight, die axis data) for research and study cannot be overstated.  Hope you'll get around to photographing this one coin some day and post images.  Meantime, how 'bout stating the size, weight, and die-axis?

PtolemAE

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
Hi PAE,

Actually, my BD problems aren't in the rear-view mirror. At least one of my previously treated BD coins has already relapsed. And it is getting worse and worse every day. I probably won't even be able to begin to re-treat it until January. Treating coins for BD is a massive undertaking and a long, continuous process. I just don't have the time for it now.

And, after I am done re-treating that coin (and any others that may relapse between now and January), I still must artificially re-patinate and wax all of my 30 or so previously treated coins - because the treatment process stripped the patinas on all of my BD coins. That whole process can take 1-3 months or more. Then, and only then, can I even begin to take photos of my collection. But I can't start doing any of this until January. So, I may be looking at March-May as a start time for taking photos of my collection.

My BD problems really set back my plans, by a minimum of 9-10 months, possibly longer.

Meepzorp

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
Quote from: Meepzorp on September 15, 2014, 07:14:49 am
Hi PAE,

Actually, my BD problems aren't in the rear-view mirror. At least one of my previously treated BD coins has already relapsed. And it is getting worse and worse every day. I probably won't even be able to begin to re-treat it until January. Treating coins for BD is a massive undertaking and a long, continuous process. I just don't have the time for it now.

And, after I am done re-treating that coin (and any others that may relapse between now and January), I still must artificially re-patinate and wax all of my 30 or so previously treated coins - because the treatment process stripped the patinas on all of my BD coins. That whole process can take 1-3 months or more. Then, and only then, can I even begin to take photos of my collection. But I can't start doing any of this until January. So, I may be looking at March-May as a start time for taking photos of my collection.

My BD problems really set back my plans, by a minimum of 9-10 months, possibly longer.

Meepzorp

a few pictures would be take just a few minutes compared with the long treatment program - and if the coins are being eaten then maybe wise to photograph them while they still exist.

hope it all gets solved to your satisfaction. 

PtolemAE

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Quote from: PtolemAE on September 13, 2014, 03:39:18 pm

What's the undertype on yours?  Would it have to have the same undertype to be considered the 'same' as the Hersh/BMC coin?  Or is it just the same Roman type, which is clearly visible.  Can't really make anything out of the undertype on this one while, for the the BMC/Hersh specimen, there's enough visible of the original coin that the undertype may have been identified down to a die match.  

And thanks for the lesson on RR bronze nomenclature.  The 'as' at this time would have been four of these 'quadrans' (3 dots = 3 uncia) pieces.  

I'd like to get a scans or copies of Hersh's 1953 NC paper on overstruck RR bronzes and his 'Additional Overstrikes' that appears (or appeared) in RRC.  Some study is required here.

PtolemAE

The undertype is probably a Sicilian minted Ptolemy II 285-246BC Zeus Eagle on Thunderbolt. There was a prior discussion on Forum about this coin, and general agreement that that was the undertype.

I don't know who the "others" are who give 210BC, but it doesn't include anyone knowledgeable. Here is the evidence of "about 214 BC" which is the standard dating for this type since the 1950s (cf. Thomsen Early Roman Coinage; Crawford). Nothing has changed in the last half century to indicate any other date than "about 214 BC"

The As was reduced to a typical 40 grams in about 212 BC, with sometimes lighter emergency issues. A quadrans of 210 BC typically weighs 6 to 10 grams. This monster heavy coin, 17 grams, was clearly struck at an earlier time, when a 70 gram As would have been usual, in the period 215-212 BC. Absolute proof is provided by the overstrike sequences. These heavy coins are found overstruck on these Ptolemaic types, and on Hieron II types. Later lighter quadrantes of the same design (Hercules Bull and snake) are also found overstruck on Hieronymous and on Syracuse democracy (214-212BC). As the heavy coins, such as this type, are only found overstruck on coins that pre-date 214 BC, but the Romans weren't active in Sicily much earlier, that limits their issue to probably 215-212BC.

Possibly the "about 210BC" comes from a citation of the later quadrantes of the exact same type but of much lighter weight and overstruck on typically later coins.

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
Quote from: PtolemAE on September 13, 2014, 03:39:18 pm

PtolemAE

The undertype is probably a Sicilian minted Ptolemy II 285-246BC Zeus Eagle on Thunderbolt. There was a prior discussion on Forum about this coin, and general agreement that that was the undertype.

I don't know who the "others" are who give 210BC, but it doesn't include anyone knowledgeable. Here is the evidence of "about 214 BC" which is the standard dating for this type since the 1950s (cf. Thomsen Early Roman Coinage; Crawford). Nothing has changed in the last half century to indicate any other date than "about 214 BC"

The As was reduced to a typical 40 grams in about 212 BC, with sometimes lighter emergency issues. A quadrans of 210 BC typically weighs 6 to 10 grams. This monster heavy coin, 17 grams, was clearly struck at an earlier time, when a 70 gram As would have been usual, in the period 215-212 BC. Absolute proof is provided by the overstrike sequences. These heavy coins are found overstruck on these Ptolemaic types, and on Hieron II types. Later lighter quadrantes of the same design (Hercules Bull and snake) are also found overstruck on Hieronymous and on Syracuse democracy (214-212BC). As the heavy coins, such as this type, are only found overstruck on coins that pre-date 214 BC, but the Romans weren't active in Sicily much earlier, that limits their issue to probably 215-212BC.

Possibly the "about 210BC" comes from a citation of the later quadrantes of the exact same type but of much lighter weight and overstruck on typically later coins.

Thank you, Andrew -

This is all becoming fascinating because at least some of those undertypes visible in Hersh's plates (his 1953 paper has become available) and the one in the BMC that was mentioned earlier are actually Sicilian Ptolemaic issues, not Egyptian.  The one in the BMC group is an imitative-Ptolemaic issued by Hieron II (its apparent die match was part of our 'Sicily' paper three years ago) and Hersh's #9 (1953 paper) is a Svoronos 610 which was a Ptolemaic issue minted on Sicily, not in Egypt.  The 17-gram weight is important and, until the appearance of the 'Sicily' paper no one would have made the inference that at least some of the 'Ptolemaic' undertypes of these quandrans coins are Sicilian coins for which we have a pretty good idea of issue date.  In the few days I've been starting to look into this I haven't mastered the current wisdom on the dating of successive weight-standards of RR bronzes.  Thanks for adding the fine points on the changes that took place between 214 and 210.

The question arises, concerning your quandrans and the Hersch BMC coin quadrans of the same design (which are said to have been issued in Sicily): when do you believe they were first issued ?  I think Hersh says ca. 269 for the start of the 'Romano-Campanian' types (which I gather includes these 'Sicilian quadrans').  Is 269 the accepted time for the (first ?) series of RR bronzes - the (~70-gram-as) series that includes this Sicilian Heracles/Bull quadrans ?  Forgive the ignorance of your specialty field - I'm only beginning to look at the early RRs because of the connection to Ptolemaic Sicilian coins that Hersh observed but didn't realize he observed.

I don't see the orientation of the 'Ptolemaic' undertype on yours and it will be quite helpful to determine if it is also one of the 'Sicilian' issues of Ptolemy II or possibly one of Hieron's imitations thereof.

Can you suggest a reference book or article that would provide a concise summary of the current/modern wisdom on the sequence of dates of the RR bronze standard changes?

Also I would presume you might take into account that the Romans were significantly involved in Sicily long before 215-212 - namely starting ca. 264 when they pressed Hieron II back into a small dominion near Syracuse after some confused shifting alliances during a short battle over Messana that led Hieron II afoul of Roman interests there, and during the course of the subsequent First Punic War.  Could those RR bronzes in question above (of Sicily) have originated somewhat earlier than 215-212 (namely shortly after we believe the Ptolemaic Sicilian issues came to an end ca 264)? 

PtolemAE

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
The earliest conceivable date for this issue is perhaps 216. Hershs 1953 dating was before the revolution in Republican numismatics that took place in the 1950s as a result of many parallel new pieces of evidence. That indicated that the Romans were operating with a fully libral as system (300 grams) until the start of the second Punic war, that then slipped to half standard (specifically  about 120-150 grams after the disasters at Trasimene and Cannae and then soon after to a standard of about 60-90 grams on which these coins were struck. There was a large coinage volume at about this level and then it was cut again to 40-50 grams. There's evidence this happened about 212-211 BC. It then stabilised at that level for the next two hundred years. So the 215-212 dating is narrowly constrained.

Apart from Crawford and Thomsen which are both massive books, if you could find Essays Badian there is a 10 page overview of all the evidence by Loomis in that festschrift. I may have a copy of Loomis and I could send by email.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
I've shared a copy of "The Introduction of the Denarius" by William T Loomis, in Essays Badian, with Ptolmae. Others who wish to see a copy please let me know. Large file (12 MB).

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
Quote from: PtolemAE on September 16, 2014, 06:30:02 pm
if the coins are being eaten then maybe wise to photograph them while they still exist.

:) ;D ::)

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
Quote from: PtolemAE on September 16, 2014, 06:30:02 pm
Quote from: Meepzorp on September 15, 2014, 07:14:49 am
Hi PAE,

Meepzorp

a few pictures would be take just a few minutes compared with the long treatment program - and if the coins are being eaten then maybe wise to photograph them while they still exist.

hope it all gets solved to your satisfaction. 

PtolemAE

Hi PAE,

It's not just "a few pictures". I have a massive ancient coin collection, possibly 2,000 coins or more. For each coin, I'd need a photo of the obverse and reverse, and also of the front and back of the tag. That's 4 photos per coin. That's a total of about 8,000 photos. Then, I must digitally store them somewhere, and then probably post all 8,000 photos online. It will be a massive undertaking. And it will probably consume at least several months, possibly longer.

Meepzorp

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com

a few pictures would be take just a few minutes ...

PtolemAE
[/quote]

Hi PAE,

It's not just "a few pictures". I have a massive ancient coin collection, possibly 2,000 coins or more. For each coin, I'd need a photo of the obverse and reverse, and also of the front and back of the tag. That's 4 photos per coin. That's a total of about 8,000 photos. Then, I must digitally store them somewhere, and then probably post all 8,000 photos online. It will be a massive undertaking. And it will probably consume at least several months, possibly longer.

Meepzorp
[/quote]

Hi Meep

Maybe it wasn't clear...

Photos of the one coin you specifically mentioned is relevant to this thread (not the other 1999) should take minutes, not months. 

Thanks.

PtolemAE

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
Hi PAE,

I thought that maybe that is what you meant, but I wasn't 100% sure.

Even doing that has significant problems. I don't have a digital camera or a cell phone that is capable of taking photos. My niece has one, and that is what I've used in the past to post my limited number of photos here in this forum. But my niece is very busy, and she visits me very infrequently. Actually, the frequency of her visits should be increasing dramatically now that the school year has started again. But the coin must be physically here and/or accessible at that time (when my niece is here with her cell phone camera). Both of those things must be "clicking" at the same time. It's not something that is easy to coordinate or pull off.

It is not that easy for me to take a photo of even so much as one of my coins. Believe me, it is much more difficult than you think.

I'll see what I can do with regard to posting photos of just that one coin. But no promises.

Meepzorp

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
Quote from: Meepzorp on September 20, 2014, 09:10:52 pm
Hi PAE,

Even doing that has significant problems. I don't have a digital camera or a cell phone that is capable of taking photos. My niece has one, and that is what I've used in the past to post my limited number of photos here in this forum. But my niece is very busy, and she visits me very infrequently. Actually, the frequency of her visits should be increasing dramatically now that the school year has started again. But the coin must be physically here and/or accessible at that time (when my niece is here with her cell phone camera). Both of those things must be "clicking" at the same time. It's not something that is easy to coordinate or pull off.

It is not that easy for me to take a photo of even so much as one of my coins. Believe me, it is much more difficult than you think.

I'll see what I can do with regard to posting photos of just that one coin. But no promises.

Meepzorp

Good luck with this small project. 

PtolemAE

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
Hi PAE,

You got lucky. My niece is here more frequently now that thew school year has started again. She had some free time after I helped her with her homework. And I made my coin accessible.

Here are photos of my example.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
Quote from: PtolemAE on September 22, 2014, 04:40:31 pm
Hi PAE,

Meepzorp

PtolemAE

Hi PAE,

There is no need for sarcasm. You don't understand my situation.

Meepzorp

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
Quote from: Meepzorp on September 24, 2014, 09:32:34 pm
Quote from: PtolemAE on September 22, 2014, 04:40:31 pm
Hi PAE,

Meepzorp

PtolemAE

Hi PAE,

There is no need for sarcasm. You don't understand my situation.

Meepzorp

Thank you for posting the pictures and glad it turned out to be so easy and quick.  There is need for imagining non-existent sarcasm. 

Are size and weight for this coin available?

Not familiar enough with the possible undertypes to make out a Carthaginian coin but maybe Dave Macdonald can help with this.  Size and weight will help place some bounds on the possible undertypes. 

Thanks.

PtolemAE

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
Quote from: PtolemAE on September 29, 2014, 10:17:16 pm
Thank you for posting the pictures and glad it turned out to be so easy and quick.  There is need for imagining non-existent sarcasm. 

Are size and weight for this coin available?

Not familiar enough with the possible undertypes to make out a Carthaginian coin but maybe Dave Macdonald can help with this.  Size and weight will help place some bounds on the possible undertypes. 

Thanks.

PtolemAE

Hi PAE,

Unfortunately, the size and/or weight are not readily available. As you can see, I took a photo of the dealer tag (photo #3). Whatever information that is written is on that tag is all I know about this coin. I can't weigh it because I don't have a scale to weigh coins. (I know. I know. I don't have a digital camera, a cell phone that is capable of taking photos, or a scale to weigh coins. Maybe it's time for me to think about getting out of the Dark Ages. :)) And I can't measure it (diameter) because it is no longer available/accessible. To be perfectly honest with you, I am surprised that the dealer didn't put that information on the tag. He usually does. I don't know why he didn't do it in this particular case. I thought that, by taking a photo of the dealer tag, it would provide any and all information that you would need. I didn't realize that those pieces of information were missing form the tag until after the coin was no longer accessible.

I am not even sure if it is overstruck on a Carthaginian coin. That is what the dealer told me, so that is what I wrote on the back of the tag (photo #4). That's my handwriting. This is one of the first ancient coins I ever purchased. I bought it way back in circa 1998/1999, when I first started collecting. Since I was new to the hobby at that time, I didn't know much about ancient coins. So, I just took the dealer's word for it that it was struck over a Carthaginian coin. To be brutally honest with you, I never closely examined it myself. It is entirely possible that the dealer's analysis/assumption is wrong. It may even be struck over a Sicilian coin. Who knows?

Meepzorp

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
Quote from: Meepzorp on September 30, 2014, 02:17:08 am

Hi PAE,

Unfortunately, the size and/or weight are not readily available. As you can see, I took a photo of the dealer tag (photo #3). Whatever information that is written is on that tag is all I know about this coin. I can't weigh it because I don't have a scale to weigh coins. (I know. I know. I don't have a digital camera, a cell phone that is capable of taking photos, or a scale to weigh coins. Maybe it's time for me to think about getting out of the Dark Ages. :)) And I can't measure it (diameter) because it is no longer available/accessible. To be perfectly honest with you, I am surprised that the dealer didn't put that information on the tag. He usually does. I don't know why he didn't do it in this particular case. I thought that, by taking a photo of the dealer tag, it would provide any and all information that you would need. I didn't realize that those pieces of information were missing form the tag until after the coin was no longer accessible.

I am not even sure if it is overstruck on a Carthaginian coin. That is what the dealer told me, so that is what I wrote on the back of the tag (photo #4). That's my handwriting. This is one of the first ancient coins I ever purchased. I bought it way back in circa 1998/1999, when I first started collecting. Since I was new to the hobby at that time, I didn't know much about ancient coins. So, I just took the dealer's word for it that it was struck over a Carthaginian coin. To be brutally honest with you, I never closely examined it myself. It is entirely possible that the dealer's analysis/assumption is wrong. It may even be struck over a Sicilian coin. Who knows?

Meepzorp

Thanks.  This one goes into the 'unsolved mysteries' column :)

PtolemAE

All coins are guaranteed for eternity