Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Augustus with comet?  (Read 326 times)

calkinsc

Augustus with comet?
« on: September 11, 2014, 11:06:30 pm »
If anyone could identify the coin in the photo, I'd appreciate it!

It is 16.8mm, 3.30g, and appears to be silver.  It doesn't seem to be fake (no seam along the edge, not pitted, etc.), but does have that black patch on the reverse.   The normal comet issue, according to Sear 2000's photo (#1607) has fine detail and a left-facing portrait, while this one has a right-facing portrait and more "clunky" detail.    The text refers to a restoration of the type of #2065, a civil war issue.  No photo is provided, but the description mentions a right-facing portrait, so it makes me wonder.  Given its rarity, I find it hard to believe that mine could be that type, though... Maybe mine is a fouree or such?  Or an entirely different, common type that I missed in Sear?

Comments welcome.  Thanks!

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Augustus with comet?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 03:13:23 am »
http://www.acsearch.info/search.html?term=DIVVS+IVLIVS+comet+right+denar&category=1-2&en=1&de=1&fr=1&it=1&es=1&ot=1&currency=usd&order=0&company=

above a link to some right facing portraits on acsearch for comparison

Maybe mine is a fouree or such?  

In the enlarged image I can see some small green spots (obverse at 6:30, and reverse at 10:00 and 10:45) which might indicate a copper core, but it´s difficult to decide from the photo.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity