Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Augustus Denarius with Countermark "S"  (Read 421 times)

Offline kc

• Caesar
Augustus Denarius with Countermark "S"
« on: September 11, 2014, 07:34:25 am »
Hello,

I would like to know what the countermark "S" on one of my Augustus Denarii was standing for.

I could imagine that it meant "Secunda", for the Legio Secunda Augusta, that was founded by Octavian.

Is that possible?

Regards
kc

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Augustus Denarius with Countermark "S"
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 07:56:48 pm »
It is possible, but is there any specific evidence that is so?  I think not.  It could just as well be the mark of some merchant named Secundus or any number of other things.  Augustan denarii often bear letters, usually incuse.  They are generally called Bankers' marks, but I do not think anyone really knows very much about them  Yous--relief in a rectangle--is unusual, but I do not know of any evidence bearing on its origin or meaning.

Offline kc

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 12:51:18 am »
OK, djmacdo, thank you for your opinion. +++

Regards
kc

Offline kc

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 07:20:00 am »
Do you beiieve that the coin is genuine?

Regards
kc

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 09:17:13 am »
I am a little disturbed by what seems to be a bit of damage on the left side of the reverse on the rim, but I really do not know what is going on there.  I see nothing that shouts fake to me, but this is such a valuable coin, I would consider sending it to an expert if it were mine.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity