Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Need help identifying ancient coin  (Read 545 times)

Fkadar1976

Need help identifying ancient coin
« on: September 10, 2014, 07:16:45 pm »
Hello there, can anyone please help me. Can anyone identify what type of old coin this is? Is it real or fake? Is it worth anything?

Thank you in advance

drifter182

Re: Need help identifying ancient coin
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 08:10:40 pm »
It looks like Marcus Aurelius as Caesar. I can read AVRELIVS CAE-SAR on the obverse. The reverse looks like Minerva holding Victory and spear, similar to this coin. I'm not confident enough to give an exact RIC number or make a judgment on authenticity, but I hope this helps.

P.S. size and weight are always helpful. We also don't discuss costs on this forum.

Fkadar1976

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 08:22:36 pm »
OH sorry about asking the cost!

The weight is pretty heavy and size is 1 1/4"

Thanks again it does help

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 08:20:29 am »
It's a nice sestertius in collectable condition but not particularly valuable. But it's a genuine ancient coin in an impressive size so that's nice to have, even if you don't plan to collect ancient coins. If you want to know the date more precisely, Wikipedia should be able to tell you something about him, including the time he held the title of Caesar. If you have the references, these coins can often be dated much more precisely. This is what you need the reverse legend for, which includes all kinds of titles that can be used for dating the coin.
Andreas Reich

Offline stlnats

• Caesar
  • Release the puffin!
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 08:41:36 am »
It's a nice sestertius in collectable condition...But it's a genuine ancient coin in an impressive size so that's nice to have, even if you don't plan to collect ancient coins.

+1

A very collectible coin - with most of the important diagnostics visible - that many collectors would be happy to have in their collection.  The sestertius was a "workhorse" coin when this one was issued and the coin circulated as it was intended to do.  Lots of history/romance there and exactly the sort of thing that stirs fledging collectors to learn and collect some more.  Congrats!

;D.   

Fkadar1976

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 10:25:23 am »
Thank you very much guys, I really appreciate the help! :)

I did more research last night, could it be a MARCUS AURELIS, Brass Sestertius, c.18 Cent Clementina?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity