Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: METAL ANALYSIS OF TWENTY TETRARCHY ARGENTEUS and TWENTY FOLLIS ( part 2)  (Read 3563 times)

Offline stlnats

• Caesar
  • Release the puffin!
Re: METAL ANALYSIS OF TWENTY TETRARCHY ARGENTEUS and TWENTY FOLLIS ( part 2)
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2014, 11:40:16 am »
Yes, you are right  The nummus was 32 to the pound not 36.  My mistake.  The post reform radiate was 110 but the pre-reform was slightly heavier at 96.

Shawn

Knew that Dio's silver piece was 96/lb, but not the pre reform radiate which seems to have been originally set at ~4 gm (80/lb) standard.  Except for the Oxford reference, can't find anything in my admittedly less than up to date library on this topic;do you have a cite showing the reduction in weight from 274-293? I might be being pedantic, but I do like to like to keep the ducks aligned when I can and I would like to look at this period again in more depth as time permits so I'm trying to update my knowledge.  Thanks.

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2014, 07:22:05 pm »
The argenteus was 1/10 of a solidus. The "siliqua" was, apparently, 1/24 of a solidus.
An argenteus of 96 denarii communes implies a solidus of 960 d.c. and hence a siliqua of 40 d.c.
An argenteus of 100 d.c. implies a solidus of 1000 d.c. and hence a siliqua with the not very convincing value of 41.7 d.c.
Perhaps the Aphrodisias inscription (that the argenteus was worth 100 d.c.) was simply a local edict of convenience.

Ross G.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2014, 11:56:02 am »
Aaaarrgh!  Yes stinats.  You are absolutely right.  The dangers of posting at work from memory, which seems less and less reliable these days.  1/80 and 1/32, not my original 1/96 and 1/36.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline stlnats

• Caesar
  • Release the puffin!
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2014, 04:54:40 pm »
The dangers of posting at work from memory, which seems less and less reliable these days. 

I suffer from the same affliction so "feel your pain!"  Appreciate the update.

BTW, the thread took a rather interesting detour, so to return to the start:  15 of the coins analyzed indicated >5% silver; 11 had 8% or more.  These results are so different than what I recall from other analyses (mean of 4% or thereabouts) that I wonder what's going on. 

Offline hposner

• Praetorian
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2014, 08:24:12 am »
Hi everyone,
                    Just a minor contribution to the silver: gold  ratio argument. What follows only applies on September 2nd 301 ce, when the fiscal edict and the price edict had just both been published.
A 100 denarii argenteus ( and it really does have to be that) works out at roughly 30 denarii a gram of silver. To keep the 12:1 ration gold has to be roughly 360 denarii a gram. A 5.4 gram aureus then works out at roughly 2000 denarii.  I lean towards a 2000 denarii, mainly because apart from the ratio argument it also fits a much higher proportion of the edict prices ( especially when you  add in half aurei, which were occasionally minted in the years just after 301 ce)  than either the 1500 or the 1200. Of course a 1000 aureus also works with the edict prices, but that makes the  silver to gold ratio less that 5:1, and i can't buy that as an idea.
Nothing is definite about the aureus or the follis until we get another shard uncovering earthquake, but thanks to all this debate I am firming up more and more towards values of 1 or 2, 4, 25, 100 and 2000 denarii  for the silverless radiate/aurelianus/follis/argenteus/aureus set.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity