Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Islamic coin need a littel help.  (Read 1201 times)

Offline Kim B. N

• Caesar
  • Omnium rerum principia parva sunt
Islamic coin need a littel help.
« on: September 08, 2014, 08:12:39 pm »
This fine coin was in a bunch of uncleaned coins i got in yesterday. As my understanding of arabic is a big zero.  :-[ I hope someone would be kind and help me a littel/lot.  :)

Silver. 2,3 cm (sry my weigt scale is out of power)

Many thanks and kind regards Kim

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
Re: Islamic coin need a littel help.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 11:01:58 am »
I guess it's Abbasid Dirham of Haroun Al Rachid 170-193H/786-809 AD;The year looks tese'a wa sabein wa meat[179H],Caliph as Haroun,probably S.Album:219.4?Scarce coin.I can't read the mint ???
Regards
Nassif

Offline Kim B. N

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 11:27:20 am »
Naasif you are the king of Kings.  +++ Thank you very much. Well i feel like a lucky man right now. This is my first early medieval coin from the middle East. Exelent!

Kind regards Kim

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 12:32:06 pm »
Looking closely,this Dirham has also the name of the Caliph Al Hadi169-170 H; father of Haroun Al Rachid,if it's the case ,the date should be tese'a wa settin wa meat[169H instead of 179H] and coin belongs to Al Hadi[the father]in this case the coin is classifeid as Rare by S Album 217[R]
Very unusual & interesting Rare Dirham-Needs more studies ???
lucky finding +++
Nassif

Offline Kim B. N

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 06:11:59 pm »
Well it is astonishing what you sometimes find in dirty bunch of coins. I Google this Caliph Al Hadi and boy this guy was respected by his countrymen and enemys.

Just to think what this coin must have seen.  ???

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 11:13:13 pm »
Among the Dirhams issued , there is one kind of rare dirham called  Al- Dirham Al-hadia

in English The gift Dirham , which usually would be struck in special occasion not always is mentioned on the Dirham

And  seldom had album #s

I believe , yours Kim is one of them .

and yes as Nassif mentioned , some letters are hard to be read.
On the top photo ,in the middle:

Gift of
Al-Qualifa ( means successor of Mohamed )  Al- Hadi

of what commended by Haroun

son of Commander of the Faithful   ( which is here Al-Hadi )

Son of  KHadim   ( means server )    which is here unknown person

Could be the person was gifted to.

What I can see in the other photo .. could be Marw mint.

Good Day.

Sam
Sam Mansourati

Offline Kim B. N

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 11:44:38 pm »
Hi Sam

I wish i could get a better picture for the very hard/small details. But alas my camera only got 14,1 megapixels.  :(

Well this coin turns out to have quite the history on its back. I got a couple of Ottomans but nothing in this League. Pretty cool.  :)

I am writing all this info down on the note too the coin. Its going too be one loooong note.  :)

kind regards Kim

Manzikert

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 11:28:12 am »
Hi Kim, Sam

I'm afraid this is an ordinary dirhem, not a special donative one.

It is No. 964 in Eshragh's 'Silver coinage of the caliphs', and he translates the reverse central legend as:
Khuzayma
the Caliph al Hadi
by command of Harun
son of the Commander of the Faithful
son of Khazim

The mint is slightly double struck on your example but it is al-Haruniya (in the province of Armenia, which Khuzayma was governor at this time), so it is logical to find his name on the coin.

From Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khuzayma_ibn_Khazim :
Khuzayma ibn Khazim ibn Khuzayma al-Tamimi (died 818/9) was a powerful grandee in the early Abbasid Caliphate. The son of the distinguished military leader Khazim ibn Khuzayma, he inherited a position of privilege and power, and served early on in high state offices. He was crucial in securing the accession of Harun al-Rashid in 786, and was an influential figure throughout his reign.

Best wishes

Alan

Offline Kim B. N

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 10:06:28 pm »
Hi Alan well it could have been cool with a special dirhem, but as i see it it, is still an awesom coin.  :) Since it is the first dirhem i got it will have special spot in my Collection!

Thank you all for your great info.  +++

Kim

bakkar

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 12:44:35 pm »
Abbasid dirhem of al-Haruniyya mint and dated 169AH.

H.Bakkar

All coins are guaranteed for eternity