Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Fake Titus?  (Read 2945 times)

Offline Foro Di Mario

• Caesar
    • Casa Nostra
Fake Titus?
« on: September 07, 2014, 11:05:16 pm »
What do you think of this one?

Offline traveler

• Consul
Re: Fake Titus?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 11:10:59 pm »
Do you have the weight and die axis?

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 03:48:14 am »
Apparently an artificially aged cast copy.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

s_crete

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 05:15:15 am »
Apparently an artificially aged cast copy.

Lars
Hello Lars,
/Apparently an artificially aged cast copy/ Means that you are not sure or suspect?????
I apologize for insolence on my part, but it is interesting: How you identified from the photo that this coin is cast and copy?
Give an example for your argument?
However, we are small, learn from experts like you?
Thank you
Svetla

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 05:44:41 am »
Is this your coin, too, like the Britannicus? The background of the picture is the same.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

s_crete

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 07:10:08 am »
This is my coin found by me personally.
And I'm 100% sure of its authenticity.
As and in Britanukus.

s_crete

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 07:39:31 am »
I think the ordinary members in this forum can not give an opinion because their posts are removed if they are not pleasing to the experts on this forum.
In that way you do not help ordinary collectors. Thus, simply impose your opinion. Whether correct or not, you say your opinion and not allowing another to argue with you? Or want to expose their arguments. Why do you think a coin is fake or real?  ??? ??? ???

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 09:31:25 am »
If you are 100 % convinced, why bother asking? Also, why do you use different accounts?

The devices on your coin to me appear to be too soft for a struck coin and the relief too flat for a struck original. Please always incluse size and weight in any queries, they can be crucial information.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline ecoli

• Caesar
  • Every coin is sacred, every coin is great.
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 10:19:11 am »
If you are 100% confident, and no one else seems
to agree, it seems logical to reexamine your
Position.  Lacking that, send your coins
to Sear or any reputable grading services. 
They are there to earn authentication money, not
to "get you".

I looked at your posting history; you seem to
come across quite a few questionable bronzes;
might want to check on your source(or where you dig ;) )

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 10:31:28 am »
As and in Britanukus.

To me it looks like a probable fake of a type which is is much more common as a fake than as an original. It looks cast then artificially patinated. Since you think otherwise, do as recommended here, and spend the money to send it to David Sear for authentication. I expect that he will condemn it as fake. I wonder where you found it. Perhaps in a shop that sells tourist souvenirs.

s_crete

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 10:37:23 am »
As and in Britanukus.

To me it looks like a probable fake of a type which is is much more common as a fake than as an original. It looks cast then artificially patinated. Since you think otherwise, do as recommended here, and spend the money to send it to David Sear for authentication. I expect that he will condemn it as fake. I wonder where you found it. Perhaps in a shop that sells tourist souvenirs.

Metal detector spectra v3i
You sure that my coins is fake?

Svetla

petier

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 10:42:36 am »
did you use the Metal detector in Narnia?

s_crete

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 10:52:57 am »
To prove to you that you are very misguided in your decisions and the one, two or five photos, no one can tell if a coin is real or fake.
I decided to toss in a different manner, and I was sure I was right.
The coin was found in the British Museum.
This is a link to prove it.

http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/highlights/highlight_objects/cm/b/brass_sestertius_of_titus.aspx

So please, be more lenient with by ordinary people. You are not the gods of numismatics.
Thanks
Svetla  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 10:57:34 am »
To prove to you that you are very misguided in your decisions and the one, two or five photos, no one can tell if a coin is real or fake.
I decided to toss in a different manner, and I was sure I was right.
The coin was found in the British Museum.
This is a link to prove it.

http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/highlights/highlight_objects/cm/b/brass_sestertius_of_titus.aspx

So please, be more lenient with by ordinary people. You are not the gods of numismatics.
Thanks
Svetla  ;D ;D ;D

No one said anything about the British Museum coin. We are discussing the probable fake you posted first ( at least the comments by Lars and I were aimed at the item shown in the first post)

Why are you using two different account names? Or if Svetla is different from Mario, why is Svetla trying to mess up the fakes discussions by posting museum coins and claiming he owns them?

Offline bpmurphy

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 11:11:20 am »
As and in Britanukus.

if you are 100% sure of it's authenticity, why post it here for opinions?

The BM coin is authentic and not related to the coin you found in anyway.

For the record, I am 100% certain that your Titus and your Britannicus are both modern forgeries.

For some reason in the last few weeks a number of new members have been posting forgeries here, then complaining about the opinions they receive, then asking for more evidence as to why their coins were condemned. I could be way off base here, but I suspect they're all related. To me it seems some new members are looking for ways to improve their products that they know are fake so they will pass cursory inspections via photos. I could be wrong and I apologize if I am, but because of my suspicions, I will no longer be posting explanations of forgeries to new members who have less than 300 posts unless I know them personally.

Barry Murphy

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
    • Cape Coral Real Estate FL
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 11:20:12 am »
Barry,
I was thinking the same as you as I did think it was odd also and wondered if someone is trying to improve on the fakes they make by testing them here.If you look at this persons posts he seems to come up with some quite valuable coins and seems odd for a collector to have so many and know nothing about them.Not adding size or weight etc.,no provenance

Adrain
Highest Rated Zillow agent in the County

Offline Foro Di Mario

• Caesar
    • Casa Nostra
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2014, 11:24:52 am »
Well I imagine going back to the original topic and first post that it is indeed not genuine. It sold as genuine for 451 Euro on Ebay.fr just recently.

Offline ecoli

• Caesar
  • Every coin is sacred, every coin is great.
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2014, 12:20:44 pm »
Person who sold these things should be nominated for the list...

Offline stlnats

• Caesar
  • Release the puffin!
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2014, 12:24:36 pm »
Barry,
I was thinking the same as you as I did think it was odd also and wondered if someone is trying to improve on the fakes they make by testing them here.If you look at this persons posts he seems to come up with some quite valuable coins and seems odd for a collector to have so many and know nothing about them.Not adding size or weight etc.,no provenance

Adrain

+1.  The attempted "bait and switch" of the BM coin was particularly egregious, somewhat dishonest in the find claim and thankfully really didn't get any traction.  Guess that's why the rules mandate only 1 coin per thread  ;) There was a similarly heated post a week or two ago where the OPer was demanding "scientific" evidence that his coin was fake.

s_crete

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2014, 12:45:56 pm »
As and in Britanukus.

if you are 100% sure of it's authenticity, why post it here for opinions?

The BM coin is authentic and not related to the coin you found in anyway.

For the record, I am 100% certain that your Titus and your Britannicus are both modern forgeries.

For some reason in the last few weeks a number of new members have been posting forgeries here, then complaining about the opinions they receive, then asking for more evidence as to why their coins were condemned. I could be way off base here, but I suspect they're all related. To me it seems some new members are looking for ways to improve their products that they know are fake so they will pass cursory inspections via photos. I could be wrong and I apologize if I am, but because of my suspicions, I will no longer be posting explanations of forgeries to new members who have less than 300 posts unless I know them personally.

Barry Murphy

Hello Barry
Sorry for the arrangement on my part. But I'm sure in the authenticity of Britanikus. Because I found it personally. I got your address from your page in Vtsoin and tomorrow will send it. I would like to answer here on the forums, what is your opinion when you see it in your hands?
Thanks
We will send the money for transportation costs to return it to me.
Greetings
Svetla

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
    • Cape Coral Real Estate FL
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2014, 01:06:27 pm »
Unfortunately nothing you say can be believed as you said you found the BM one which you did not and are saying the same thing about the Britanicus no one is going to believe you found that one now
Highest Rated Zillow agent in the County

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2014, 01:12:46 pm »
did you use the Metal detector in Narnia?

;D
Andreas Reich

Offline bpmurphy

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2014, 01:37:29 pm »
I do not offer authentication services so do not send me the coin. I am not taking any responsibility for the coin getting lost in the mail.

Barry Murphy

s_crete

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2014, 01:41:27 pm »
I do not offer authentication services so do not send me the coin. I am not taking any responsibility for the coin getting lost in the mail.

Barry Murphy

I sent him with Fedex, so you will not be lost.
I do not want to give me a certificate of authenticity.
Just want to give your opinion in the forum after you see it.
Thanks

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2014, 01:47:53 pm »
A very generous offer. Shipping is paid for, BOTH ways! All you supply is free authentication. How can you say no to that??

PS. In case sarcasm is not your first language I will add  ;D

All coins are guaranteed for eternity