Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Darkening Agent on Tauromenion Bronze? Opinions Wanted!  (Read 944 times)

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Darkening Agent on Tauromenion Bronze? Opinions Wanted!
« on: September 06, 2014, 11:54:53 am »
I'm wondering if I should use some sort of darkening agent on my new Tauromenion bronze.  It is a rare coin but someone harshly cleaned it, I believe by electrolysis, hence the bare metal spots, which are much brighter in hand. I was thinking of using it just to darken the highlighted spots, because the rest of the coin is pleasant enough as is.

Sooooo, which type do I use?  JAX brown, Dellar's, etc.?  I've never used a darkening agent before.

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Darkening Agent on Tauromenion Bronze? Opinions Wanted!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 04:59:18 pm »
I suggest patience.  :)
Andreas Reich

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 06:21:49 pm »
I'm considering that option, too!

Offline SC

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 04:28:17 am »
Patience also means that it will be un-tinted and you will be able to see signs of BD earlier.  Hopefully it has none but such harshly cleaned bit are often where it appears.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline bruce61813

• Conservator
  • Consul
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 01:36:09 pm »
Open air and sunlight will move the darkening along. There may have been some type of anti-oxidant  coating left behind and that may slow things down. Take your time.

Bruce
too many coins - too little time!!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity