Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: need legend help  (Read 624 times)

Offline swish513

• Legionary
need legend help
« on: September 06, 2014, 02:43:57 am »
I need help with the RENEN on the reverse... what is the translation? i have been through all of my medieval references and cannot find it. please help. i have the rest down, and have an educated guess as to RENEN... the year of our king/lord? i.e. the reverse reading "new money in the year of our lord 1512" is my best guess.

obv: IOHS-DVX-IVLIC-Z-MON'
rev: +MONETA-NOVA-RENEN-1512

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: need legend help
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 03:24:11 am »

This is from year 1511: http://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=329964

Pekka K

Manzikert

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 06:35:53 am »
This is actually from Julich-Berg, John III (1511-1521), the same man but having inherited more territory. Saurma 1624, Pl. LIV

http://www.medievalcoinage.com/saurma/someoldcoins.org/saur/1/1624.htm

Obv. IOhS DVX - [IVL]I.Z.MON
Rev. MONETA [NOV]A RENENS 1512

Best wishes

Alan

Offline swish513

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 06:33:05 pm »
thank you both for your reply, but i was looking for the translation of "RENENS" on the reverse. i know who issued the coin, and when. this is my genealogy coin, as i can trace my lineage back to kaldenkirchen, jülich, in 1515. all i am asking for is the translation of "RENENS".

Manzikert

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 09:16:41 pm »
The word is a contraction of 'RENENSIS' 'of the Rhine', meaning that the coin was struck to the standard of the Rhineland monetary confederation (Rheinischer Münzverein) formed in 1356 and which Julich had joined in 1419.

Best wishes

Alan

All coins are guaranteed for eternity