Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Cleaning help!  (Read 1277 times)

Chris Mills

Cleaning help!
« on: September 01, 2014, 12:03:05 pm »
Hi all,

first time posting on this forum so hope you can help. I have the coin (See attached image), it seems to have a strange orange coloured deposit on the surface and I am unsure of how to clean it off without damaging the coin. I assume this is not the sort of deposit that will come off with olive oil/distilled water. Could anyone advise the best way to get a deposit like this off?

It is a bronze coin.

Sorry if the pictures are not great quality.

Thanks,

Chris.

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: Cleaning help!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 12:39:07 pm »
It looks like the remains of a nice earthen patina, which shouldn't be cleaned.  I'm not sure how to clean one because it is desireable to keep intact, but I would imagine just keep picking at it with a toothpick or dental pick (very carefully).

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 01:02:07 pm »
As it is, I don't find it attractive. I would try to lift the dirt off at the edges with a needle. It needs magnification, a steady hand (but you don't need to be a surgeon to do it) and patience.
Andreas Reich

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 01:13:43 pm »
As it is, I don't find it attractive. I would try to lift the dirt off at the edges with a needle. It needs magnification, a steady hand (but you don't need to be a surgeon to do it) and patience.

Yes, at this point the damage has been done and there is no use keeping it (earthen patina). I didn't mean to imply not to clean it.  I should have wrote "shouldn't have been cleaned".  In the future you might want to post before any attempts at cleaning.

Chris Mills

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 02:23:13 pm »

Yes, at this point the damage has been done and there is no use keeping it (earthen patina). I didn't mean to imply not to clean it.  I should have wrote "shouldn't have been cleaned".  In the future you might want to post before any attempts at cleaning.

I didn't clean it myself - I got it cheap like this from a car boot sale. Thanks for your tips help all so far.

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 06:17:19 am »
Hi Chris..

Here are improved photos..

I have to agree with the above posts.. Soak the coin in distilled water,  ( ain't nobody got time for olive oil.. It might work on your coin after a couple of years, but no promises..) and pick away under magnification with a sharp point working up and away from the coin so as not to damage the surface under the encrustations....

Good luck!!

Lee S.

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 06:54:00 am »
Isn't the soaking counterproductive in this case? Lifting off the dirt seems to work best when it is dry and therefore brittle. Like dry paint only that a hot air gun is not an option here.
Andreas Reich

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 07:26:51 am »
Wet or dry.  Either is fine.  I would start with the dry "pop it off" technique and when that stops working you can trying soaking it in DW and brushing.  In fact you can alternate.  After a few brush-soak cycles then dry it out completely and try working dry again.

However, I think there is more to this coin than just the light coloured earthy deposits.  The obverse bust and lower face and the reverse shows sings of corrosion and/or harder deposits.  This can complicate things.

Sometimes the earth deposits come off in bits like this due to luck or random cleaning.  But sometimes it is because of different surfaces below.  In these cases it usually comes of the nice smooth surfaces easiest and can be hard to get off the rougher surfaces.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 09:30:21 am »
I should have elaborated further.. My bad, ( and a product of typing on my phone during lunch break!)

I would chip away... Soak... ( a day or 2 )...  Brush... Let dry... Chip away again... Repeat...

If it is genuine desert patina the soaking won't do much, but if it softer, the soaking will help loosen the dirt.

Chris Mills

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 12:26:34 pm »
Hi Chris..

I have to agree with the above posts.. Soak the coin in distilled water,  ( ain't nobody got time for olive oil.. It might work on your coin after a couple of years, but no promises..) and pick away under magnification with a sharp point working up and away from the coin so as not to damage the surface under the encrustations....

Good luck!!

Lee S.
Can I please ask how you improved them like that? I would like to do that to the pictures of my own coins :)

Offline BiancasDad

• Caesar
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 01:39:16 pm »
Hi Chris,

I use PhotoFiltre 7, it is free and easy to use.

http://www.photofiltre-studio.com/pf7-en.htm

Cheers

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 08:49:44 am »
Quote from: Chris Mills on September 04, 2014, 12:26:34 pm
Hi Chris..

Good luck!!

Lee S.
Can I please ask how you improved them like that? I would like to do that to the pictures of my own coins :)

Hi Chris,

Pretty much any image editing program will have options to crop the picture and to push and pull the contrast and brightness.. What are you working on? I fixed your photos on my iPhone using an app called "photo studio" .

All coins are guaranteed for eternity