Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A new Justinian RY14 follis forgery?  (Read 857 times)

Jerry-in-Berlin

A new Justinian RY14 follis forgery?
« on: September 01, 2014, 11:59:15 am »
Well, new to me anyway. I bought the first coin in July. Today the same dealer listed the second coin. Clearly the two coins are precisely identical and therefore presumably from the same casting. Has anyone seen this coin elsewhere? (I'm waiting for the dealer to respond to my request for a refund.) --Jerry

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: A new Justinian RY14 follis forgery?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 01:19:06 pm »
Dear Jerry and Board,

Sharp eyes, but I think the second photo is of the first coin, which was accidentally listed twice.  Every little surface irregularity is the same on both coins which would not be expected, even on a cast forgery. 

I know of one dealer who unintentionally listed several coins recently which he had already sold, so this mistake is not particularly rare.  Also, the dealer you purchased from is honorable from everything I have heard, so if a fake were to slip into one of his listings, it would have most likely done so without his knowledge.

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan       

Jerry-in-Berlin

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 09:29:31 am »
Mark --

Thanks for your expertise with casts. What you say makes a lot of sense, especially since the coin itself has the right feel. Dealer hasn't responded to my query, and the coin is still listed today.

Jerry

Jerry-in-Berlin

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 06:07:06 pm »
Mark --

To follow up: you were right. The seller wrote this afternoon to apologize for the confusion and to say that the second listing was indeed a duplicate and an error. Thanks again for your reply and hypothesis.

Jerry

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 10:21:27 pm »
Dear Jerry,

Bravo on receiving a reply from the dealer!  For one reason or another, you will find that a lot are not as responsive as Joe of Forvm Ancient Coins.   

I am glad to have been of some small help, but in catching this mistake in the first place, you have the mark of a true numismatist, a skill that you will better understand and refine through greater experience.     

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline vercingetorix

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Surrendered at Alesia.Bleah...
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 01:21:43 pm »
Jerry, you should also be aware of the fact that die-identities can be found even on large-scale issues such as bronze folles. Especially in hoards, where coins have not circulated a lot, you may find die-links; it's rare to find both obv-rev die links on copper coins, it's usually just one, but it's not impossible. It is of course almost impossible to have the same shape of flan, same type of strike (centering) etc. I'm glad the mystery was solved in your particular case, so this was just fyi.
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes...

All coins are guaranteed for eternity