Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Stater of Akarnania--Argos or Metropolis?  (Read 374 times)

Offline Equity

• Consul
Stater of Akarnania--Argos or Metropolis?
« on: September 01, 2014, 04:23:26 am »
Hello,

I recently purchased this stater of the Corinthian type (adopted by Corinth's colonies and, as far afield as Syracuse during the reign of Agathokles I believe). The seller (whose pictures these are, don't yet have it in hand) attributed it to Metropolis, a city in Akarnania. Sear's GCV I seems quite inadequate in this area, but my researches seem to indicate that this resembles the coinage of Argos Amphilochikon (also in Akarnania) more closely than that of Metropolis. An example from acsearch below:

http://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1604710

Both Metropolis and Argos appear to feature a Macedonian shield by Athena's Corinthian helmet, but the epigraphy (delta-iota and "AP") resemble those on the type attributed to Argos Amphilochikon. I could not locate any similarities in the coinage of Metropolis.

I'd very much appreciate opinions on the topic. Picture of the coin attached, may be clickable for higher resolution.

Thanks,
Derek
Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile.

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
Re: Stater of Akarnania--Argos or Metropolis?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 07:52:35 pm »
It is definitely Argos, not Metropolis.
The AR beneath Pegasus are for Argos. The known staters of this type from Metropolis had an MH monogram (resembles an M with a crossbar across the centre) beneath Pegasus.
It is never a good idea to blindly believe the information or references which sellers give. There are very few sellers amongst the sales of which I have never or only very very rarely found attribution errors. The ("late") Helios Numismatics was one such shop, Forum's shop is another. Even large national collections make errors - I just sent the Paris cabinet a list of about 30 corrections and I must have sent the British Museum a few dozen over the past few years.

Offline Equity

• Consul
Re: Stater of Akarnania--Argos or Metropolis?
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 05:22:03 am »
Thanks very much, Dane! Agreed, the attributions in FORVM's shop are invariably excellent, and I'm glad Joe makes his archives available for research.

Regards,
Derek
Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity