Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Greek? AE1 Obverse-? Reverse-Tripod  (Read 591 times)

basher_boy

Greek? AE1 Obverse-? Reverse-Tripod
« on: August 31, 2014, 08:32:20 pm »
Hello all,

I have been working on a box of greek coins my late father had stashed away.  Some my father and grandfather had attributed, many he had not, but I can't blame him it must have been super hard before the internet.  These coins wer almost certainly from my grandfather who was a civil engineer all through Europe and Africa in the 1910 and 1920s.  Most of the coins were foiund on the job site but some were bought

I have been successful on 99% of the coins, but have a few that are in the stump pile.

Here is the first one that is not revealing itself to me.  It is a bronze 27 mm, 20 grams. 

The reverse is a tripod

The obverse is corroded to the oint that the image is not obvious.  My father had attributed the coin to Rhegion, Bruttium, becasue he felt the image was of a lionscalp.  I do not believe that is true.  I have several AE lion scalps and this does not look like one to me.  It looks more like a janiform head over wings.  Either way I can not find any coins with a tripod reverse or obverse that have a similar oppisite side.  My father has a refrence to SEA 316 which is surely a catalog(maybe a refrence book), but I can not find that either.  At any rate he says that coin was similar but with a janiform head instead of a lion's scalp.

Thanks for the help in advance

Seb

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Greek? AE1 Obverse-? Reverse-Tripod
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 05:39:53 am »
For me this is Athena wearing a corinthian helmet.

Similar like this, but not necessarily this coin, there are other examples from other cities:
http://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1844459

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 07:53:18 am »
I think you are right, shanxi.  Either that or it is a strange over strike.

basher_boy

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 01:18:10 pm »
shanxi

I never would have seen it without your help.  You know how you look at these and get stuck in a rut. 

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 01:30:27 pm »
By the way, your coin has a bad case of bronze disease.  There are plenty of resources here to help you treat it.

basher_boy

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 02:16:48 pm »
Again thank you so much for your suggestion and pointing me in the right direction.  The coins were all stored in vinyl coin flips, in a climate controlled area by my father.  They were looked at only occasionally. About 12 months ago I realized the PVC was leaching onto the coins, and treated every coin in the collection to remove the PVC residue, and put them into fresh PVC flips while I figured out what to do.  After 12 months I have attributed all but six or so coins.  Now that I have a sense of relative value one from the other I can begin to work on preserving the best coins.  I hadn't gotten so far as looking up how to treat the various conditions, as I was most worried about the medeivel silver crowns some of which had a blue slime on them becasue of the PVC disease.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity