Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: An Interesting Counterclockwise & Retrograde Coin  (Read 731 times)

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
An Interesting Counterclockwise & Retrograde Coin
« on: August 31, 2014, 08:05:42 pm »
Is the bottom coin a Huszár 547 or a Huszár 550?

In the standard Huszár 547, which is a very common medieval Hungarian coin issued by Louis I in 1373-1382, the Saracen's head faces left.  In the uncommon Huszár 550, the head faces right.  Otherwise, the two coins are the same, although the number of mints that issued the Huszár 550 is limited.  Both bear the obverse legend + MOnETA LODOVICI and the reverse legend + REGIS hVnGARIE.

The top coin is a standard Huszár 547, issued in Buda (left-facing).  The bottom coin was also issued in Buda, but is right-facing.  What is especially interesting about the bottom coin is that the legends (obverse and reverse) run counterclockwise and most of the letters are retrograde. 

My initial attribution of the bottom coin was that it is a variant of Huszár 550, as it is right-facing.  However, if the engraver had erroneously engraved the head in retrograde, which would be consistent with the erroneous counterclockwise legends and retrograde letters, it would be a variant of Huszár 547.

Is the distinction merely academic?  Any thoughts?

Stkp

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: An Interesting Counterclockwise & Retrograde Coin
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 08:10:04 pm »
Fore some reason, the photos didn't load.  Here they are (I hope)!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity