Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Bronze and Lead Items  (Read 842 times)

Fiorenza21

Bronze and Lead Items
« on: August 31, 2014, 03:01:52 pm »
 Other items I am unable to identify-

Item 1 is made of lead and measures 70mm. Votive item? Not sure about time period.

Item 2 I've seen identified as harness pendants. Roman or Medieval? About 20mm.

Item 3 looks like a pendant of some type, but I have no idea of the time period though it looks Roman to me. 36mm length.

Item 4 is 49mm in length and is slightly curved. Cosmetic instrument fragment?

Item 5 appears to be a zoomorphic handle of some sort, perhaps for a knife. Early medieval? 45mm length.

Fiorenza21

Re: Bronze and Lead Items
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 03:03:38 pm »
Item 2. It looks misshapen to me, but it could represent a specific type of shape.

Fiorenza21

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 03:08:47 pm »
Item 3. Now that I look at this it appears to be a Dura-Europos type pendant with the end broken off. Incised decoration at the top and bottom leads me to that conclusion. It's a bit chunkier than the other two I have.

Fiorenza21

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 03:10:59 pm »
Item 4

Fiorenza21

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 03:13:46 pm »
Item 5. The reverse is not articulated as the front.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 03:30:19 am »
It is much better to post each item individually.  That way if discussion grows on more than one item it is separate.  Also easier for future searches on specific things.

That said I think you are on the mark with your assumptions.

1)  Lead votive axe.  Nice largish one.  Not 100% sure on the dating.  Late Celtic, Roman or early post-Roman.

2) Harness decoration, not really a pendant as it does no hang down.  Roughly 2nd - 3rd c Roman.

3) Some sort of Roman cavalry harness pendant.  Can't tell if it broken or just a simple design.  It would also be 2nd - 3rd c.

4)  No clue.  Does not look like any cosmetic tool or stylus I know of.  Maybe part of a more complex item.

5)  Knife handle and I think it could be Roman provincial style though as you say could also be post-Roman early Medieval.

Sorry I can't help more.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Fiorenza21

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 01:52:43 pm »
Thank you again for your input Shawn!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity