Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Bronze and Lead Items  (Read 879 times)

Fiorenza21

Bronze and Lead Items
« on: August 31, 2014, 03:01:52 pm »
 Other items I am unable to identify-

Item 1 is made of lead and measures 70mm. Votive item? Not sure about time period.

Item 2 I've seen identified as harness pendants. Roman or Medieval? About 20mm.

Item 3 looks like a pendant of some type, but I have no idea of the time period though it looks Roman to me. 36mm length.

Item 4 is 49mm in length and is slightly curved. Cosmetic instrument fragment?

Item 5 appears to be a zoomorphic handle of some sort, perhaps for a knife. Early medieval? 45mm length.

Fiorenza21

Re: Bronze and Lead Items
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 03:03:38 pm »
Item 2. It looks misshapen to me, but it could represent a specific type of shape.

Fiorenza21

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 03:08:47 pm »
Item 3. Now that I look at this it appears to be a Dura-Europos type pendant with the end broken off. Incised decoration at the top and bottom leads me to that conclusion. It's a bit chunkier than the other two I have.

Fiorenza21

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 03:10:59 pm »
Item 4

Fiorenza21

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 03:13:46 pm »
Item 5. The reverse is not articulated as the front.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 03:30:19 am »
It is much better to post each item individually.  That way if discussion grows on more than one item it is separate.  Also easier for future searches on specific things.

That said I think you are on the mark with your assumptions.

1)  Lead votive axe.  Nice largish one.  Not 100% sure on the dating.  Late Celtic, Roman or early post-Roman.

2) Harness decoration, not really a pendant as it does no hang down.  Roughly 2nd - 3rd c Roman.

3) Some sort of Roman cavalry harness pendant.  Can't tell if it broken or just a simple design.  It would also be 2nd - 3rd c.

4)  No clue.  Does not look like any cosmetic tool or stylus I know of.  Maybe part of a more complex item.

5)  Knife handle and I think it could be Roman provincial style though as you say could also be post-Roman early Medieval.

Sorry I can't help more.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Fiorenza21

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 01:52:43 pm »
Thank you again for your input Shawn!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity