Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ID needed for AE Brooch  (Read 1009 times)

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
ID needed for AE Brooch
« on: August 28, 2014, 03:39:17 pm »
Ave!

AE 37mm/28.6gm

Not in Hattatt that I can find.

Anyone?
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: ID needed for AE Brooch
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 04:48:40 am »
It is a knee fibula variant.  Sometimes called the Volute Bow Knee Fibula.

See 2/3 of thew way down the wikipage:  https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=knee%20fibula

Typology: Böhme 21d/g; Bojovic XXII var. 11 (parallel catch) and var. 17 (transverse catch); Genceva 16e

Dates: Dating is uncertain. Possibly as early as c. AD 175-225, but possibly not beginning until the 3rd century AD and possibly lasting into the early 4th century.

Distribution: Danubian origin, Upper and Lower Moesia. Bojovic divides them depending on whether the catch (which is always high and narrow) is parallel to the bow (XXII var. 11) or transverse (XXII var. 17). He also has a variant with a horizontal hole through the foot as well as the usual one through the head (XXII var. 16). 

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
Re: ID needed for AE Brooch
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 09:25:42 am »
It is a knee fibula variant.  Sometimes called the Volute Bow Knee Fibula.

See 2/3 of thew way down the wikipage:  https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=knee%20fibula

Typology: Böhme 21d/g; Bojovic XXII var. 11 (parallel catch) and var. 17 (transverse catch); Genceva 16e

Dates: Dating is uncertain. Possibly as early as c. AD 175-225, but possibly not beginning until the 3rd century AD and possibly lasting into the early 4th century.

Distribution: Danubian origin, Upper and Lower Moesia. Bojovic divides them depending on whether the catch (which is always high and narrow) is parallel to the bow (XXII var. 11) or transverse (XXII var. 17). He also has a variant with a horizontal hole through the foot as well as the usual one through the head (XXII var. 16). 

Shawn

Hi Kevin and Shawn :)

I agree with Shawn, I also have some similar fibulae, and I attributed the same as Shawn, of course because I have also the book of Bojovich,
Not in Hattatt as you mentioned..

Any way very nice example...

Best regards
 Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity