Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Need ID help, Cross in wreath, facing bust  (Read 576 times)

Offline Holding_History

• Caesar
Need ID help, Cross in wreath, facing bust
« on: August 25, 2014, 11:43:18 am »
Unusual Byzantine coin. Has a facing bust and a cross inside a wreath. 16mm at widest point, looks like a Rome mint mark?
Thanks!
Nathan
All the best,
Nathan

Online Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Need ID help, Cross in wreath, facing bust
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 12:25:07 pm »

Maybe one of dekanummi marked with I, eg SBCV 1336.

Pekka K

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 10:46:04 pm »
I am away from my references, but I agree with Pekka that the thick line is probably a large :Greek_Iota: indicating the denomination, and not a line to set off the exergue.  The attribution would be easier if the  :Greek_Iota: was centered and flanked by two crosses, but that seems not to be the case.

Offline joma-tk

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 01:24:27 am »
The coin could be Tiberius Constantine Sear 472 with the second cross destroyed.
If not we should consider it to be an Heraclius coin, since the emperor looks like him.

tk

All coins are guaranteed for eternity