Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Bronze disease?  (Read 1209 times)

Offline Nick.vdw

• Praetorian
Bronze disease?
« on: August 21, 2014, 06:41:02 am »
Hey there fellow FORVM members!

I'm currently rephotographing my coins and while photographing my Justinian decanummium I noticed a little green patch on the reverse (below the exergue) that I'm pretty sure wasn't there before. Is it time to throw the coin into distilled water?

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: Bronze disease?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 07:47:23 am »
I wouldn't do anything yet, just monitor.  I've had coins that I thought had new spots and when I reexamined the  old photographs I realized they were already there.

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 08:13:03 am »
Sound advice from Nick, i would wait a while before starting any treatment but keep your coin isolated. You have the photographic evidence now (this post) so take another look in a couple of weeks to see if there has been any changes.

Arados

Offline Nick.vdw

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 09:35:57 am »
Thanks for your advice! It's in quarantine now.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 11:48:59 am »
Nice decanummion by the way.  Good portrait for the type and fully legible year.  Very interesting ragged flan.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Nick.vdw

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 04:24:27 pm »
Thanks! It's one of the first 'nice' coins I bought, so I'd hate to see it slowly die of bronze disease!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity