Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Rare Carus, Lighted Altar,  (Read 631 times)

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
Rare Carus, Lighted Altar,
« on: August 17, 2014, 01:15:23 pm »
Rare Carus, Lighted Altar,

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-111658

Carus (282-283 A.D.), AE-Antoninianus, RIC V-II 111K in, Siscia, -/-//XXIA, CONSECRATIO AVG, Lighted Altar, Rare!!!
avers:- DIVO-CARO-PARTHICO, Radiate head right.
revers:- CONSECRATIO-AVG, Lighted Altar with dots in each four corners.
exerg: -/-//XXIA, diameter: 20,5-21,5mm, weight: 3,18g, axes: 5h,
mint: Siscia, 5th. emission,date: A.D., ref: RIC V-II 111K, p-147, Rare !!!

Best regards
 Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Ed D

• Consul
    • The Carus Dynasty
Re: Rare Carus, Lighted Altar,
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 01:55:09 pm »
Hi Q a nice one. I think it's not rare but scarce, in my database 14 specimen incl. yours  :)

Best regards

Ed D

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 02:00:41 pm »
Hi Q a nice one. I think it's not rare but scarce, in my database 14 specimen incl. yours  :)

Best regards

Ed D

Hi Ed Your coin are more better than mine ..
If you find more than 14 speciment you are right ..:)

I was followed only the RIC database it is mentioned rare..., but your info are more up to date I hope.. +++

Best regards

Q.

Maybe you recognized my two new Carinus too.. ;)

Q.
My Gallery

Offline AMICTUS

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 05:04:13 am »
At least a scarce coin on the whole as the ratio DIVO CARO PARTHICO Altar XXIA / DIVO CARO PARTHICO Altar SMSXXIA is about 1 to 4. But only 2 coins -to be compared to the 16 CONSECRATIO AVG coins of the next issue -SMSXXI- by Carus et sui at Siscia, in the LaVenèra hoard.

Also a coin with some historical interest. The coin is part of the very last phase of the VIRTVS AVGG / XXI issue at Siscia (summer 283 AD). with Carinus and Numerian as Augusti and including, in the very end, the first strikes for the deified Carus, once the news of Carus’ death in the East reached the Siscian mint, probably by mid August 283 AD. This coin has some rare and close companions (RIC 108, RIC 110, RIC 113) with various reverse types and legends (CONSECRATIO AVGVSTI, CONSECRATIO / Eagle on globe or Altar). Some  variants also exist (backwards paralell ribbons, A in right field, dot between XXI and A in the exergue). This is showing that some hesitation took place, at the begining of this exceptionnal new and special serie for the Divus Carus, about the reverse legend to be congruent with the DIVO CARO PARTHICO obverse legend

The issue was cut short (one of the reasons for the scarcity of these coins) when the praetorian prefect of Carinus, Marcus Aurelius Julianus (Julian of Pannonia), rebelled at Siscia in September 283 AD. Thus this coin is to be dated by end of August-begining of September 283 AD and not  by 284 AD.

The same type (same obverse legend and portrait and  CONSECRATIO AVG reverse legend  with Altar or Eagle (RIC 111, RIC 112) was used again (also for aurei but with a reverse with eagle on globe) for the deified Carus when the coinage for Carus et sui resumed at Siscia with the major dynastic issue –the SMSXXI issue-, following closely Marcus Aurelius Julianus’ fall and death and the recovery of  Siscia by Carinus at the end of 283 AD. The issue was continued into the begining of 284 AD with a second phase.

Regards.

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 07:09:22 am »
Quote from: AMICTUS on October 19, 2014, 05:04:13 am
At least a scarce coin on the whole as the ratio DIVO CARO PARTHICO Altar XXIA / DIVO CARO PARTHICO Altar SMSXXIA is about 1 to 4. But only 2 coins -to be compared to the 16 CONSECRATIO AVG coins of the next issue -SMSXXI- by Carus et sui at Siscia, in the LaVenèra hoard.

Also a coin with some historical interest. The coin is part of the very last phase of the VIRTVS AVGG / XXI issue at Siscia (summer 283 AD). with Carinus and Numerian as Augusti and including, in the very end, the first strikes for the deified Carus, once the news of Carus’ death in the East reached the Siscian mint, probably by mid August 283 AD. This coin has some rare and close companions (RIC 108, RIC 110, RIC 113) with various reverse types and legends (CONSECRATIO AVGVSTI, CONSECRATIO / Eagle on globe or Altar). Some  variants also exist (backwards paralell ribbons, A in right field, dot between XXI and A in the exergue). This is showing that some hesitation took place, at the begining of this exceptionnal new and special serie for the Divus Carus, about the reverse legend to be congruent with the DIVO CARO PARTHICO obverse legend

The issue was cut short (one of the reasons for the scarcity of these coins) when the praetorian prefect of Carinus, Marcus Aurelius Julianus (Julian of Pannonia), rebelled at Siscia in September 283 AD. Thus this coin is to be dated by end of August-begining of September 283 AD and not  by 284 AD.

The same type (same obverse legend and portrait and  CONSECRATIO AVG reverse legend  with Altar or Eagle (RIC 111, RIC 112) was used again (also for aurei but with a reverse with eagle on globe) for the deified Carus when the coinage for Carus et sui resumed at Siscia with the major dynastic issue –the SMSXXI issue-, following closely Marcus Aurelius Julianus’ fall and death and the recovery of  Siscia by Carinus at the end of 283 AD. The issue was continued into the begining of 284 AD with a second phase.

Regards.

Thank you very much AMICTUS your opinion..

Best regards
 Q.
My Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity