Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Crusader with cross & Camp gate? for ID  (Read 2048 times)

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
Crusader with cross & Camp gate? for ID
« on: August 17, 2014, 03:45:23 am »
Hi All;
I need your help to ID this coin AE 22mm-3,8g which i believe it's Crusader? with cross & camp gate?
Thanks for any help
Nassif

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
Re: Crusader with cross & Camp gate? for ID
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 01:58:29 pm »
Nice coin Nassif .The cross remind me these coins that have been attributed to Tripoli, Sidon or uncertain Syria (1250-1268). Not in Malloy or Metcalf. But many new types have been found since these books was published. I seen several similar variations of this type and even more speculation about it. Most of these speculations I guess are mere speculation.
Regards ,
Vlad

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 02:10:48 am »
Great thank Vlad for your help & contribution,i agree with you....But i have found similar coin in Cyprus[Henry II] CCS 28/9 as i think there is some letters across gateway?? ???
Thanks again
Nassif
PS:What do you thing about my Edessa coin posted here??

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 01:36:01 pm »
Hi Nassif ,
This coin still the mystery . When I read your post first time , I was looking on picture and missed description . Now I see  22mm , 3.8 grams - it's a follis , not denier or pougeoise. Yes , the cross still remind me the coins ( pic 1 - six- rayed chrismon pommete on reverse , not a camp gate!!!) that have been attributed to Tripoli, Sidon or uncertain Syria , but It's too heavy for this type . But who knows ? New type ? It's a gray area . I can't recall new studies that recently was done for this coins . Exactly I don't know any work except a few words in Malloy or Metcalf . Also I don't think that this is Cyprus , Henry II CCS 28-29 ( pic 2-3 ) , to heavy , wrong style .
Regards ,
Vlad .

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 02:34:54 am »
Great Thanks Vlad for your contribution & help,this coin as the two others posted here[Edesa issue and the other " Follaro" from same lot],i wonder if it's not a Follaro from Sicily like the small one with cross.Of course the possibility of Sidon or other still to be confirmed,but it's too heavy as you said for such attribution
All the bests
Nassif

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 09:48:42 pm »

Offline Vasiliy O

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 04:39:20 pm »
The coin is very interesting.
Do you know location it is found?
Localization findings may help to identify
I also think it's crusaders somewhere in Syria

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 11:47:20 am »
Great Thanks  Vladislav D & Vasiliy O for your valuable contribution.I persist to think that's a Crusaders from Syria as it was among lot of Crusaders coins
Regards
Nassif

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2020, 08:09:18 pm »
Cilician Armenia. Baronial. Toros II, 1144-1168. Pogh
 ԹՈՐՈՍ ՅԱՍSԻ ('Toros by the grace of God' in Armenian) Cross pattée.
  ԱԹ-ՈԱ Castle or castle gate ԱԹ-ՈԱ on either side of the tower
Bedoukian 3. Nercessian 247
Regards,
Vlad

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2020, 11:05:58 pm »
Here is my example

All coins are guaranteed for eternity