Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Provincial AE 27.6mm 12.7g reverse emperor on horseback  (Read 544 times)

hesthay25

Provincial AE 27.6mm 12.7g reverse emperor on horseback
« on: August 16, 2014, 04:26:05 am »
Can't figure out who this is. Guessing provincial coin. Been searching and can't find a match. If I knew who the portrait was of I might have better luck.
The obverse legend I believe starts out with AV K AI M? the rest I really cant make out. The reverse is emperor on horseback and the legend is to worn of to really make anything out.

Any thoughts on who and what this coin is?
Any info is appreciated
Thanks

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: Provincial AE 27.6mm 12.7g reverse emperor on horseback
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 05:03:10 am »
I read AV KAI M AVR - ANTWNEINOC and together with that portrait it should be Caracalla.

Best regards

hesthay25

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 06:22:39 am »
Thanks Jochen,
I agree with you that it is Caracalla. Caracalla was one of the few I had narrowed it down to.

Earlier when looking for Caracalla with a reverse of emperor on horseback I couldn't find a reference or a similar coin to match up. So I thought It may have been someone different.

So I just did some searching on wild winds for Caracalla obverses with AV KAI M AVR- ANTWNEINOC and reverses with emperor on horseback and couldn't find a match.

Any reason why I can't find a match to this coin?

Offline Mark Fox

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 07:01:42 am »
Dear hesthay25 , Jochen, and Board,

I don't have time to hunt up a match (I did a cursory search), but I may be able to read ЄΦЄCΙΩ[Ν...] on the reverse.  So possibly an Ephesian issue. 

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 08:03:22 am »
Your coin is from Hadrianeia in Mysia, AMNG IV, p. 163, 467 and pl. VIII, 3 (only reverse, same die); SNG BN Mysia 1044 (same dies). The reverse legend reads Є MЄNANΔ-POY - KΛЄAN AP A / AΔPIAN-ЄΩN, with the last three letters above the ground line below the lion.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

hesthay25

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 07:33:17 pm »
Thanks everyone for all the help.
Very appreciated,

Hunter

Offline Mark Fox

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 11:23:51 pm »
Dear Board,

Excellent work Lars!  I confirm your attribution.  Here is the BnF coin you cited:

http://catalogue.bnf.fr/servlet/biblio?idNoeud=1&ID=41767135&SN1=0&SN2=0&host=catalogue

I could be wrong, but I suspect the reverse of Hunter's coin belongs to a different die.  Now that I have properly examined the reverse, it seems to read, "Є ΜЄ – ΝΑ [?–...].  More than one die does exist for this type, as demonstrated by this other specimen:  

http://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1040809

Whatever the case may be, I would like to congratulate you again for the fine sleuthing job!

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 05:18:06 pm »
Hi Pscipio!

Congrats for that work!