Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman barbaric imitation?  (Read 765 times)

Offline extravaganza

• Praetorian
Roman barbaric imitation?
« on: August 16, 2014, 02:40:47 am »
This is another metal detecting find. People are saying that this coin is a barbaric imitation but i'm not sure, it seems to be celtic. What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Joost

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
Re: Roman barbaric imitation?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 03:11:09 am »
Barbaric imitation of Tetricus I "IMP TETRICVS P F AVG"
  I have one very similar here... https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-106914
( also a UK detector find )

Best wishes,

Lee.

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 05:51:41 pm »
This topic got me thinking a little tonight..
       I know the term "celtic" generally applies to locally produced coins under the authority of a local tribe, but so called "barbaric" coins were engraved and struck by the exact same people, ( I have mentioned the similarities between authentic "Celtic" coins and "Barbarous radiates" in several other discussions ) , so I believe that there is a certain amount of overlap one can use in these situations...Celtic..  Barbaric..  Native North European? What's the difference?

Offline Victor C

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Constantine the Great
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 06:55:57 pm »
but so called "barbaric" coins were engraved and struck by the exact same people

We don't know who actually struck them. The most correct answer would probably be something like "different people", as sometimes local tribes may have struck some, but many were probably struck by Roman people also. There is no way to be sure, even site finds don't tell you for sure who struck these coins or actually used them. Perhaps a better term to use for these coins is "unofficial"
Victor Clark

LRB gallery

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 08:18:14 pm »
But my point is, many "unofficial" issues share similarities with "official" Celtic coins... Wavy lines, surrealistic interpretations of the original (roman) coin they copy which look very "Celtic", there is a definate blurring of the line between official Celtic and unofficial Roman in Celtic ( north European ) coinage...

Offline Victor C

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Constantine the Great
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 12:32:06 am »
there is a definate blurring of the line between official Celtic and unofficial Roman in Celtic ( north European ) coinage...

To clarify, are you comparing and equating Celtic coinage from circa 1st century B.C. with unofficial AE coinage from the late 3rd century?
Victor Clark

LRB gallery

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 02:40:09 am »
Quote from: Victor Clark on August 17, 2014, 12:32:06 am
there is a definate blurring of the line between official Celtic and unofficial Roman in Celtic ( north European ) coinage...

To clarify, are you comparing and equating Celtic coinage from circa 1st century B.C. with unofficial AE coinage from the late 3rd century?

Yup, stylistically I am, and also comparing and equating native artwork and also chalk carvings in the hillsides of Southern England. Many local imitations are almost entirely influenced of the occupying Romans, but every now and again one pops up which is clearly more influenced by local artistic traditions.. An absence of straight lines, a plenitude of wavy lines, and most importantly, a certain sence of humour...

When I return to my PC I will post some examples of what I mean..

Lee.

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 04:52:12 am »
Sorry for the delay, but here I post a barbaric radiate I recently aquired which has a definate "Celtic" feel to it....

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 08:29:50 am »
Lee,

That is a great coin--fascinating style!

Mac

All coins are guaranteed for eternity