Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Sicilian crab countermark  (Read 443 times)

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Sicilian crab countermark
« on: August 15, 2014, 07:28:45 am »
Hi,

Could anybody provide a catalogue reference for the crab countermark used at Akragas please? I've seen plenty of reference to the Herakles head used but only a single reference to a crab (in CNS (Corpus Nummorum Siciliarum?)). [This is a follow-on question from the authenticity discussion on the Fakes board].

Any suggestions welcome.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Sicilian crab countermark
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 11:04:23 am »
Hi mauseus,

I looked in SNG ANS. For Akragas AE coins with crab countermarks, the reference numbers are 1086-1087 and 1096.

I actually have an Akragas AE coin with a crab countermark, so it isn't that rare. As you alluded to, the crab countermark isn't as common as the Herakles head countermark, but I wouldn't classify it as "rare".

Meepzorp

Offline JBF

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 11:38:08 pm »
In a way, it is not a countermark, with the types below "erased," and an overstrike of a crab.  I think if you look at catalogues, you'll find it listed under Akragas, a lean period _after_ Akragas got defeated by somebody, Carthaginians, if I recall correctly, and I admit I might not be remembering it correctly, but that is enough information to look into it, if you care to do so.

And yes, in a way, it is a countermark, but not functioning in the way of most countermarks.  Again, the types of the original coin are obliterated, which is not the case for most countermarked coins.

Taras

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 04:05:23 pm »
This countermark variant is not rare... it is UNIQUE!
Look carefully, you will see the border of dots and traces of a monogram under the crab.
Well, there are dozens of known specimens with the crab countermark, but only other three known specimens of crab countermark with border of dots and AK monogram. Furthermore this one is unique because the monogram is retrograde!!
Moreover, this coin is so much interesting because the crab countermark is overstruck on a Herakles countermark! Look h10-h12, traces of hair are still visible. This evidence allows us to date the crab countermark 357–339 b.C.

Regards :)
Nico

EDIT: For those interested in the matter of sicilian countermarks I recommend the reading of these works by Santelli and Campana: http://www.webalice.it/giovanni.santelli/nua1001.htm

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 12:35:48 pm »
Hi,

Thanks for the update info. I'd noticed that it was over the Herakles but the additional supporting information is great.

Many thanks for your additional info.

Regards,

Mauseus

All coins are guaranteed for eternity