Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: An archeological mystery  (Read 1528 times)

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: An archeological mystery
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 04:04:33 am »
Hi Akropolis,

Wow!!! That is fascinating. Thanks for sharing it.

I can't believe that it is 12,000 years old.

Mankind is very fortunate that it is located in modern day Turkey, and not Iraq or Syria. ISIL would have deliberately destroyed it.

Meepzorp

Offline David Atherton

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 05:35:43 am »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudoarchaeology#Legitimate_archaeological_sites_often_subject_to_pseudoarchaeological_speculation

I absolutely despise the programme Ancient Aliens. Göbekli Tepe has yet to unlock many of its secrets to archaeology, but that is no excuse to spin fantastical theories. Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 08:01:19 am »
Stories of alien interference in the ancient or pre-historic world or of the existence of pre-Ice Age civilizations are awesome ...... as fiction, as the works of Howard and Lovecraft and dozens of others prove.  But sad when it strays from there.

And yes Gobekli Tepe is one of several fascinating early Anatolian sites.   

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline mihali84

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 11:13:09 pm »
Ancient aliens, present time aliens, either way, to dispel such theories as merely belonging in science fiction is to me a naive way of thinking.  There are many unexplained phenomena that occur every day in our world and no doubt have occurred in the ancient past.  I agree that some if not most of the theories touched upon by the Ancient Aliens are a little outlandish, but it's very entertaining and intriguing to think that if aliens are visiting the Earth in modern times, than perhaps they did also in ancient times when people would be more open minded to such visitation and chalk it up to a religious experience since they could come up with no other explanation. 

I for one have seen an unidentified flying object in close proximity, about 60 feet away, hovering with no sound, and the craft was gunmetal chrome without any visible seems or defects.  It very well could have been piloted by aliens, but i believe it was most likely some top secret US government craft piloted by the air force.  I really never cared if anyone believed me as i saw the object with my brother and best friend at the time.  What amazed me the most was not that it could have been an alien craft, but that this technology actually EXISTS!  It would be more of a stretch to say that our government has that type of technology than to say it was piloted by alien creatures.

And no i'm not crazy or some alien enthusiast.   8)
A man's character is his fate- Heraclitus
My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=23798

Offline JBF

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 11:46:00 pm »
Cthulu in 2016!
Why settle for a lesser evil!

But, seriously, they were careful not to do it in this video, but the attribution of amazing feats of construction to ancient aliens implies that there is no way those "poor, primitive" people could have done it themselves. :(

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 04:13:25 am »
The wiki article David linked to is a very good one.  It goes into some depth on the racist element of the old theories that "primitive cultures" could not have been responsible for things deemed too advanced for them and therefore must have had help from either aliens or from things like transatlantic technology transfer.  "The great Egyptians or Greeks must have helped those poor primitive Aztecs and Mayans to develop their advanced societies."

Frankly, even the cool fiction I wrote about - Howard and Lovecraft et al - carries all of the racism of the time.  It is just something that the modern reader has to be aware of.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Constantine IV

• Caesar
  • Constantine IV
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 08:40:35 am »
I guess the site of Gobekli Tepe is the new "prey" for the Peddlers of Fantasy, Daniken et all.

Mayan Temples, Egyptian Pyramids and Easter Island Complexes having been proved categorically to be conceptualised and made by humans.

Eventually the site of Gobekli Tepe will be proved to have been categorically conceptualised and made by humans as well.

Then another site in a risky region of the World will be found and the same "Circus of Silliness" will arrive to titillate the unhinged.
"He who gives himself airs of importance, exhibits the credentials of impotence". ~ Decimus Laberius, 46 BCE

Offline Lerian

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 05:39:51 am »
Since the video talked of the flood I can recommend this book by Dr Irving Finkel;

The Ark Before Noah; Decoding the Story of the Flood.

No Aliens I promise.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity