Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Greek Arrowhead Designed by Philip II and Alexander III  (Read 807 times)

lod254

Greek Arrowhead Designed by Philip II and Alexander III
« on: July 30, 2014, 11:10:24 am »
How would I identify one of these arrowheads? Is it a specific style? Did they even design an arrowhead?

I've seen on other sites claims that an arrowhead such as the two below were designed by the two. I've been looking to purchase a 4th century Greek arrowhead and these caught my eye. I'd be more interested in one of these than any old 4th century arrowhead if they did in fact design one together.

First

Second

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Greek Arrowhead Designed by Philip II and Alexander III
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 07:32:19 am »
I have never heard that one and such stories that famous people were involved in inventing such things should taken with a large grain of salt.  The stuff of legends.

All three of your arrows appear to pre-date the Macedonians by some time.

One good article with timeline, in French but easy to use without the language skills, is:

https://www.academia.edu/7185487/Des_steppes_eurasiatiques_aux_campagnes_celtiques_au_premier_age_du_Fer_les_contacts_transcontinentaux_induits_par_leconomie_des_cites-Etats_mediterraneennes_a_la_lumiere_des_pointes_de_fleches_en_bronze_a_douille_de_type_scythique_identifiees_parmi_le_groupe_oriental_

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 01:44:49 pm »
Hi Shawn Thank the posting this very useful article..

Best regards
 Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 04:00:41 am »
Figure 14, on the page marked 76 in the lower right, is a timeline.  The left hand column shows centuries BC - 9th to 3rd.

One needs to be a real expert to date arrow heads but it appears that the ones used in the 4th-3rd c BC - thus the time of Phillip and Alexander - had no socket protruding down below the back of the wings.

But my main point is not to assign a specific date to your arrowheads - the chart seems to indicate they date more to 6th - 5th c BC but I am no expert - but to show that one thing we can be certain of is that they were not "designed by Philip and Alexander".

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity