Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Severus Alexander heavy denarii?  (Read 579 times)

Offline Tim Ballou

• Legionary
Severus Alexander heavy denarii?
« on: July 24, 2014, 07:29:51 pm »
I am curious whether anyone can shed any light on what seem to be examples of heavy denarii of Severus Alexander I am seeing listed in various places (multiple  dealers, & eBay, but also other places, including reference sites such as Wildwinds).  I am seeing many examples from what would seem to be reputable, established dealers (not on NFSL or other groups' lists) that weigh in from 3.9 - 4.3g.  This seems very heavy for denarii, especially of this late period -- but the portraits are laureate, not radiate, so they are not antoninianii (right? - besides which, my research indicates that the only change in the monetary system under his reign was the elimination of the antoninianus, and that the average weight of the denarius under his rule was 3.18g, with a silver fineness of .418, the same as his predecessor Elagabalus).

From my research, I would typically expect a Severus Alexander denarius to be roughly in the 2.7 - 3.2g range (average 3.18g), give or (usually) take a little due to wear, clipping, etc., & maybe with an occasional outlier.  Current FORVM examples listed online bear this range expectation out, being listed at 2.642, 2.768g, & 3.270g, for example.  But I also see denarii of Severus Alexander on reference sites like Wildwinds with weights ranging from 2.84g, through 3.63 and 3.72g -- that's nearly a gram difference just on the first three random examples I looked at there that listed a weight!

But I am also seeing many examples listing that are MUCH heavier on online:  

What appears to be a RIC 67, sear5 #7904, RSC 319 Severus Alexander denarius weighing in at 4.12g
What is listed as a RIC-81, RSC 357 Severus Alexander denarius weighing 3.9g
What is listed as a RIC IV 252 Severus Alexander denarius weighing 4.3g
What is listed as a RIC IV: 23, BMCRE VI 92, RSC III 231 weighing 3.7g

My question is this:   Does the heavy weight given automatically mark these as fakes (possibly with lead cores?), or are there known legitimate examples of heavy denarii under Severus Alexander?  Do the denarii under Severus Alexander legitimately range in weight from ca. 2.6 to 4.3g?  This seems unlikely to me, being such a huge range, but I'm hoping someone here can shed some light on this for me.

Thank you in advance for any opinions.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Severus Alexander heavy denarii?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 07:45:25 pm »
Apparently heavy weights do occur.

BMC VI p. 17 gives a frequency table of the weights of Alexander's denarii in the BM collection.

Heaviest:

3.50-3.65      17
3.66-3.81       7
3.82-3.97       4
3.98-4.13       2
4.14-4.29       -
4.30-4.45       2

Lightest:

1.89-2.05       1
2.06-2.21       7

It was Elagabalus who first revived the antoninianus in 218 (Macrinus had discontinued it in 217), but then eliminated it again in 219. Alexander, in striking no antoniniani, was merely following Elagabalus.
Curtis Clay

Offline Tim Ballou

• Legionary
Re: Severus Alexander heavy denarii?
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 08:10:07 pm »
curtislclay - That certainly covers it thoroughly!  Thank you very much for the information!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity