Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: I need help identifying this coin.  (Read 549 times)

Laura W2

I need help identifying this coin.
« on: July 24, 2014, 05:27:01 pm »
I am not a coin collector, although my young son has been doing it for years.  I was simply walking across the street and looked down to find this coin.  Just curious what it is and if it is a good piece to add to my sons collection.

Offline Constantine IV

• Caesar
  • Constantine IV
Re: I need help identifying this coin.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 07:50:47 pm »
Welcome to Forum Ancient Coins.

From that photo alone, this looks to be "like" the "Anonymous Folles" Type B issued in the reign of the Byzantine Emperor, Romanus III.

Below is an example of the reverse of one I had.

As you can see, your coin seems to be very reduced in size.

I would be surprised if a real one was cut down.

Does the other side of the coin have a face on it?

Most of the "Anonymous Folles" series have Jesus on the obverse side (head side).

Wonder why it would be discarded onto the street, and really amazing for you to come across it like that.
"He who gives himself airs of importance, exhibits the credentials of impotence". ~ Decimus Laberius, 46 BCE

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 07:58:07 pm »
Size?

Laura W2

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 05:30:47 pm »
That really looks like it!  But the one I have is much more worn.  The other side - is so worn away that you cant hardly even see anything.  I can make out that there was a figure, but that is all.  it measures about 1 3/4 cm.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity