Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Gilded trachy identification  (Read 1172 times)

Offline Strategos

• Consul
    • Labarum.info
Gilded trachy identification
« on: July 23, 2014, 11:25:37 am »
Hi all !
I bought a gold-plated coin as a jewelry.
I can not find this type of coin.
Do you think this is a common gilded bronze coin or an original decoration?
I do not know the size, maybe 30 mm

pant

Re: Gilded trachy identification
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 06:14:46 am »
Very interesting. Please, send a high quality photo.

Pant

Offline Posa

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 10:36:06 am »
The emperor reminds me to Konstantin Asen, have you already looked among the bulgarians?

Posa

pant

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 04:48:08 pm »
The emperor reminds me to Konstantin Asen, have you already looked among the bulgarians?

Posa

I dont think so...

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 06:10:06 pm »
This is a rare (bronze) trachy which turned up in both the Arta 1923 hoard (as Class XVIII, attributed to John III - see Bendall & Donald, Michael VIII, p.xiii) and Arta 1983 hoards (Arch. Deltion 1981, Pl. 88, 1-4).
There is a reasonable photo of another example in Num. Circ. 1974, p. 54, No. 8.
Touratsoglou attributes it to Theodore Comnenus-Ducas at Thessalonica, but it may well be a product of the Arta mint at some stage of Theodore's tenure as ruler of Epirus.
Key features are the star on the saint's shield, the 4 dots in a diamond pattern above left on the reverse (a little obscured here), the manus dei and the full circular legend.
For more details of the type see the note on the Arta 1983 hoard on my "paleos" website (see below), or here:

http://www.glebecoins.org/paleos/Notes/The_Arta_1983_Hoard/the_arta_1983_hoard.html

Ross G.

Offline Strategos

• Consul
    • Labarum.info
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 01:51:17 am »
Thank you very much Glebe, for detailed information !
Thank you all !
This coin liked me as soon as I saw it :)
I certainly will do detailed photo after receiving the coins.

Coin sold in this lot:

Offline Strategos

• Consul
    • Labarum.info
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 10:56:55 am »
I also found the description of this coin in the catalog DOС IV pl. XXXIV №51 as trachy John III Magnesia mint
and SEAR 2105

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 08:36:34 pm »
Yes, this is the Protonotarios coin from N. Circ. 1974 (it's now in the Athens Museum). It seems Hendy had noticed it after all. I have updated my website accordingly.

Ross G.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity