Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Caracalla AE 29 Emisa[Emesa] temple variation?  (Read 639 times)

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
Caracalla AE 29 Emisa[Emesa] temple variation?
« on: July 21, 2014, 10:10:58 am »
Hi All;
I post this coin for final ID:Caracalla. 198-217 AD. AE 29, 19,5g. Seleucis and Pieria, Emisa, Year 527 = 215/6 AD. Obv:[ AYT K M AYP - ANTΩNEINOC C]EB Bust laureate, draped, cuirassed right. Rx: [EMICΩ]Ν - KOΛΩN Six-columned temple of Elagabalus at Emesa, containing holy stone, ornamented with eagle, set on rectangular base, flanked by two parasols or religious standards; NO flight of steps leads to the temple; rectanglar frame in pediment; date ZKΦ in exergue. BM 15 var.
this is the 1st coin without steps leading to the temple-Needs final ID
Thanks in advance for all your help
Regards
Nassif

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Caracalla AE 29 Emisa[Emesa] temple variation?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 11:08:19 pm »
Hi Nassif,

That's an interesting observation (the missing steps).

I have one of these coins. It is somewhat of a low grade, as most are. Offhand, I don't remember if my example has steps or not. The next time I have access to my coins, if I remember, I'll take at look at mine.

You have really piqued my curiosity. Usually, you see steps like that (like on the Wildwinds example) on Berytus coins. I would have suspected that having the steps would be abnormal for this issue, and NOT having the steps would be normal (more common).

Meepzorp

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 01:28:25 am »
Great Thanks Meepzorp for your observation,
Regards
Nassif
PS:From same mint & same Temple Uranius usually has no steps

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 01:23:51 am »
Hi Nassif,

I checked my example of this coin. It is very worn, much worse condition than your example. But mine has the steps.

Meepzorp

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 01:52:37 am »
Hi Meepzorp;
Be aware about Uranius as i told you before.... ;D
Regards
Nassif

All coins are guaranteed for eternity