Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Claudius Minerva - Green Blobs  (Read 1372 times)

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
Claudius Minerva - Green Blobs
« on: July 20, 2014, 02:33:41 am »
Hi everyone!
I have this Claudius coin that I really don't want to mess up. On the reverse it has several green blobs. They are solid as concrete. I'd like to get some advice about how I should remove them.. Or if I should just leave them. From reading other posts, I understand that sometimes these blobs hide pits and BD that should just be left alone. Any thoughts?

Josh

PS: yes there looks to be some other light green spots that look like they could be BD but they're solid as well.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Claudius Minerva - Green Blobs
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 09:40:09 am »
Those blobs may not be natural. They may be epoxy filled pits. I recommend leaving them alone.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 07:48:47 am »
These blobs appear to stick up, above the rest of the surface, and are remnants of a dark green patina

There is little you can do to remove them short of chemically stripping the entire coin. 

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 09:09:27 am »
I would use acetone to see if they're artificial and if yes, remove them. A 10-minute bath in acetone will not harm a genuine coin, with or without patina but it will most likely remove (or start to remove) any artificial green crap. Basically, if any of the green comes off, it's a sure sign that it is artificial.

The colour of it looks good, it is possible that this is some genuine patina left after the coin was stripped of most of its patina.
Andreas Reich

Retrospectator

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 10:59:49 am »
The coin may look worse after tampering. I am not convinced that there is anything broken worth fixing here. :)

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 03:25:46 pm »
Given that the obverse side has a touch of BD I think Joe could well be right... Areich has the best idea, but I would just apply a little acetone to a small area and see what happens, it could be filler hiding big pits from previouse BD attacks... If it softens with thinners you could try removing it, or just smoothing it out a little.. Or alternatively just leave it alone... ( that would be my choice!!)
   Also, I would keep my eye on that spot on his head... It looks "actively" green, if you know what I mean...
   However it goes, good luck!!

Lee.

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 02:08:20 pm »
Thanks everyone! I think leaving it for now and maybe testing blobs with acetone later will probably be what I do. I think that many of you are right that tinkering too much may only leave me worse off then when I started.

Ha, you know how it is though... "It would just be so much nicer with just a little work..."  Famous last words before many a coin have been ruined huh.

Concerning the couple light green areas that look like the start of BD, I've had the coin for about 5 months. They were there when I received the coin and haven't changed in size since (compared to purchase photos). Keep an eye on them? Or don't wait and just treat the coin anyway? Thanks!

Josh

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 05:27:46 pm »
If those spots are solid, leave well alone. I have a couple of coins which look as though they've got a touch of BD, but the green has been stable for years.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

All coins are guaranteed for eternity