Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: is a caligula denarius affordable  (Read 5965 times)

Offline lv88

• Consul
    • Armenian Numismatic Page
is a caligula denarius affordable
« on: April 17, 2004, 03:03:08 pm »
 this year i have yet to purchase a coin more for than 20$

and i usually read some of the forum posts to give me ideas. well i got one  :)

but :-\ im not sure that this might be affordable on my budget.

im looking for a caligula denarius that is not totally obliterated of detail.

i realize that they go into the thousands at times.

can someone give me a reality check and tell me if i could purchace one between 2-500 dollars  

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re:is a caligula denarius affordable
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2004, 03:31:59 pm »
Hi lv88!

The denarii from Caius Caligula are very expensive. I've never seen one above F under $1000. But check  http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/caligula/i.html.

Regards,
Jochen

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2004, 08:19:03 pm »
I agree with Jochen. Being a collector of silver coins of the 1st century, naturally I would like one example of all the emperors of that era. Caligula and Claudius will both be very expensive in silver. There's just not a lot of them out there.

MJP

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2004, 12:42:41 am »
I saw a aVf-VF denarius of Claudius on ebay being sold by Atlantis-ltd, it sold for aroun $500, a very good deal, I would rather have a cistophorus  ::) too bad Ill never get one.

Offline Joe Geranio

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Joe and Caligula at the Getty
    • Julio Claudian Coins and Art
Re: is a caligula denarius affordable
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2005, 03:01:09 am »
Sorry,

A Caligula denarius is going to run alot more than $500.00.  I purchased my first denarius of Caligula in 1995 for $750.00 dollars.  If you do find one that inexpensive let me know please.

Joe Geranio   
CCAESAR

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005, 05:04:51 pm »
You can certainly find cheaper denarii of Caligula at Ebay but they're fake. There are a great many fakes of Caligula denarii because they're so badly sought after. Be extremely careful!

Rupert (who after almost 30 years still has no Caligula denarius)
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

William J Bligh

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2005, 12:28:09 am »
Fourees are always a good way to go for those rarities. I've had a few Claudius and Caligula fourees and they all went for under $500. Fourees also add in the interesting world of mules, like that Caligula/Caius & Lucius type pictured above. I've seen some types of Caligula denarii sold online that have suffered damage go for sale for under $500, and some of those have decent obverse portraits.

Of course, for Claudius, the cistophoroi that now seem to be popping up everywhere and are now cheaper than denarii. A mere $500 will get you a Fine cistophorus of Claudius. Three times the silver, and all the art and skill in the portraiture - you can't go wrong!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity