Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman Republic Gold Coins  (Read 1792 times)

Pax Orbis

Roman Republic Gold Coins
« on: October 18, 2005, 12:10:17 am »
Hello Forum,

I have been thinking about Roman Republic gold coins lately.  I know that gold coins were rarely minted during the Republic.  As I understand it, all gold was stored in the temples and was viewed as taboo to use this religious gold for coins.  Except, of course, in times of dire need.  As with all Roman religions there was a loophole, which was, if you need to pay the army or for a war, mint gold coins.  Now, I have not been able to discover much about the coins themselves I am hoping someone here can direct me to the proper reference, if any.  I have only been able to locate one example of a Republic gold coin here:  http://www.usask.ca/antiquities/coins/republic_thirdcent.html
obverse:
Helmeted head of Mars right, X behind
Reverse:
Eagle with wings spread right, standing on thunderbolt
During this time, 240 - 229 BC,  60 As = 1 gold coin.
Other than societal implications I have not found any thing more regarding this seemingly vague period.  How many gold coins from this period survive?  How many types?  Thanks, Pax

Offline Marius

• Consul
    • 249-253AD  Four Bad Years
Re: Roman Republic Gold Coins
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 01:12:06 am »
Hi Pax,
I searched coinarchives and wildwinds - it really is hard to find early Republican gold.  Wildwinds had 3 coins:

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/sear5/i.html

and coinarchives had the commonest types from the imperatorial period, but aside from the 60 As coin that you picture and the like coin on wildwinds, I couldn't find any truly republican (pre-imperatorial) gold.  I know it exists, but it seems that it is nowhere near as prevalent as it became from the time of Augustus onwards.  I wonder if the gold coins of Philip II and Alexander the great filled this void.  It would be interesting to know if any foreign gold was used as trade in Rome in early times. 

Richard
Richard Marius Beale
Four Bad Years:  http://sonic.net/~marius1/mysite/

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline Gilgamesh

• Consul
  • I came, I saw, I'm still looking.
Re: Roman Republic Gold Coins
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 10:41:29 pm »
The Mars / Eagle 60 As gold piece is part of the denarius reform of 211B.C.-. Crawford (no. 44/2) dates it about 211-208. See also latest Sear No.3. There was also a 40 As and 20 As piece of similar type. Some of these had symbols (anchor, pentagram, spearhead, staff) and were issued with the denarii with those symbols. There was also a 20 As piece with corn-ear. All part of dealing with the emergency created by Hannibal.

I've seen a few up for auction over the years but unfortunately don't have one in my collection - yet!

The next lot of gold, if my poor memory is correct, wasn't until the Sullan insurrection and then nothing until Caesar and opponents.
Every day I know less and less about more and more. Soon I expect to know nothing about everything.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity