Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Cyzicus eyes to heaven campgate  (Read 1041 times)

Offline agord

• Consul
Cyzicus eyes to heaven campgate
« on: July 12, 2014, 04:43:37 pm »
My prize of the day. As far as I know this (RIC VII Cyzicus 57) is the only campgate with the eyes up portrait. Sellers photos.

Offline Britannicus

• Consul
  • Sapere aude.
Re: Cyzicus eyes to heaven campgate
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 09:57:11 pm »
Interesting type+++

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 08:48:42 am »
Yes interesting ...
congratulation . +++

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 12:56:34 am »
That is indeed a prize and one of the "keys" in a Camp Gate collection. Very choice example and there are several different "styles" in this series.
This is the one I was able to find and see the differnce

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 01:51:52 am »
That is indeed a prize and one of the "keys" in a Camp Gate collection. Very choice example and there are several different "styles" in this series.
This is the one I was able to find and see the differnce

Nice portet and diadem variation  +++ :)

Congratulation
 Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 09:03:39 am »
Here is another I found right here in the Forum gallery under Victor Clarks collection:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=4989&pos=885

Another headband variation and officina. That makes B, E and S....Two, Five and Six

Thank you Quadran for the thumbs up, wish it was in as nice condition as the one pictured....but they are indeed hard to find.

Another one here at Forum gallery that is from the Delta (4th) workshop....does anyone have pics of the other officinas?

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=4989&pos=682

Offline agord

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 07:34:46 pm »
What would be considered other "keys" in the campgate series? My main focus has been the Fel Temp horsemen series, but I have picked up a few coins from other series when I found what seemed to be a deal. The only other scarce campgate I have is my Crispus/Constantinople coin. Anyone want to give me some pointers on others to watch for?

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 02:47:06 am »
I'm interested in this thread because in my own collecting niche (Flavian imperial silver) there may be an antecedent to this "eyes to heaven" type. Some of the portraits near the end of Domitian's reign (95-96 AD) exhibit this portrait style. I'm not sure if it was an engraver's whim or mint policy. Harold Mattingly interpreted the style as "lofty aspirations".

Here are a couple from my own collection:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-109137

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-109408

N.B. Not all the portraits of the period show this upward gaze.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 08:03:37 am »
There is an excellent book called Constantine by Paul Stephenson that deals quite a bit on numismatics and particularly the symbolisms in his coinage. There was a whole section devoted to the heavenward gaze.  I would recommend it for anyone interested in this time period.

Offline BiancasDad

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 08:33:26 am »
There is an excellent book called Constantine by Paul Stephenson that deals quite a bit on numismatics and particularly the symbolisms in his coinage. There was a whole section devoted to the heavenward gaze.  I would recommend it for anyone interested in this time period.

I bought a dozen books on Constantine last year and one of them was the one you mention. Seems logical for me to read this one next +++

Offline Vincent

• Caesar

Offline agord

• Consul
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 05:18:23 pm »
Thanks Vincent, I will keep an eye open for these.

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 10:04:06 pm »
There is an excellent book called Constantine by Paul Stephenson that deals quite a bit on numismatics and particularly the symbolisms in his coinage. There was a whole section devoted to the heavenward gaze.  I would recommend it for anyone interested in this time period.

Thanks for the tip Jay! I'm about through my current summer reading list so this will fit in nicely.

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2014, 07:42:10 am »
Agord, you also will have an interest in a Heraclea issue  Interesting that during civil war between Constantine and Licinius the camp gates initially displayed three towers. When Constantine took over the city (minted for Constantine II and Constantius II only) it briefly showed three towers and a star (his symbol) and then went to two towers and star. That is another one I should have mentioned.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity