Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Boston MFA Redux  (Read 6417 times)

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
Boston MFA Redux
« on: July 12, 2014, 04:37:12 pm »
Today, I visited the Boston Museum of Fine Arts for two reasons. First, to see an original copy of the Magna  Carta. Second to see the new coin room.

The Magna Carta was fascinating - my son had trouble believing that it was handwritten ("it's so neat" he said, incredulously - clearly a member of the computer generation.)

I know others have posted about the MFA coins, but I wanted to share my thoughts. The coin displays were absolutely stunning to me. I was amazed at the quality of the collection on display. All the coins were of the highest grade with tremendous detail. All the more impressive because many are old collection coins. There were a large number of Roman medallions, an EID MAR denarius and many other beauties.  The coin displays are very research friendly, with seats and movable magnifiers that worked quite well. I was impressed.

The coins in the art galleries were just as impressive as those in the coin room (I saw one of the finest classical Athenian drachms I've ever laid eyes on and an equally stunning archaic Corinth stater, both in the Greek art gallery).

I was surprised by the minimal toning on many of the coins. Most of these coins have provenance going back to the 1930s and before; yet most on display were quite lustrous. I wonder if that is the result of long-term storage conditions, or recent cleaning.

I highly recommend the Boston MFA exhibit to all local and visiting collectors.

I will separately share a few mediocre cell phone photos - all taken without flash (flashes prohibited) and somewhat rushed as my young son was with me!

As a side note, at one time in my life I was a professional musician.  When I would see extraordinary musicians live in concert, I would sometimes consider smashing my guitar to bits - "why bother, I'll never be that good," I would think.  Invariably, this encouraged me to practice more and hone my skills.  Well, I got that same feeling at the MFA today...

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
Re: Boston MFA Redux
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 05:07:29 pm »
Here are a few photos of items on display at the Boston MFA.  

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 05:10:47 pm »
Here is another.

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 05:22:43 pm »
And another (sorry for the size of the files - I can't seem to easily reduce them):

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 05:40:55 pm »
Syracuse at MFA:

Offline Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 05:43:01 pm »
One day I will make a trip to see it. Probably puts the Getty Villa batch to shame.
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 05:50:12 pm »
Some of these look tooled -maybe just an effect of taking pictures through different media ?

???

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 05:58:52 pm »
More likely any odd appearance is the result of the axial lighting of the displays (which adds contrast) and my photographing them with a cell phone THROUGH A MAGNIFIER. 

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 06:13:15 pm »
Here's a lovely Aes Signatum bar from Boston MFA:

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 09:10:27 pm »
I tried to go a few months ago between conference presentations but they didn't open until 10:00 or so, so we hit the aquarium instead.  I'll make it there this summer.  I live about an hour away, in Northbridge.

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 10:25:58 pm »
Did you get a pic of the MC ?  I wouldn't mind seeing it, for one.

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 11:29:08 pm »
I did not try to photograph the Magna Carta. Although it might be allowed without flash, the room was a bit dark (possibly for conservation reasons), so a flashless cellphone photo would have been poor. The document was in pretty good shape - on vellum of course. I did not see the king's seal attached, so it may not be enforceable.  ;D. I imagine you could find photos online if you are interested.

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 12:32:43 am »
Understandable.....thanks.

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 01:16:44 pm »
Did you take any photos of the overall exhibits that might show how they were labeled or laid out?  You close ups really are not all that bad for a phone through a magnifier.  I do not see tooling or problems with the coins but such things would be muddled by the camera motion which was there in quantity.  A camera capable of a higher ISO setting might have been able to get reasonable images but anything shot there would be second rate and one sided.  Perhaps the gift shop sold post cards???  When I go to a museum I rarely see a coin that I can not find a better photo elsewhere.  I shoot record images to help me ID (or correct their mistakes) but not 'keepers'.

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 02:33:34 pm »
Doug:

I was rushed (by my son) and only took a few snaps of individual coins to post here.  There was a thread several months past regarding the MFA coin room that included photos of the display cases, but now the links to those photos appear to be dead.  I can tell you that the coins are very well viewable, given the seats and magnifiers.  Also, there are touch screens that allow you to look at both sides of the coin on the screen. 

The coins are well labeled; but the layout was a bit confusing, in that coins are arranged chronologically in some areas and topically in others.  Of course, this is probably more enjoyable for general viewers with no numismatic experience.  I would have preferred a pure chronological/geographical layout. 

I did not notice any coin photos or postcards in the gift shop, but I did not ask for them, so they may have been overlooked by me.  I did quickly scan for any books on the coin exhibit and saw none.  I understand from previous threads here that the MFA has a downloadable application of some kind regarding the coins, but I have not investigated.

As for my photos - camera shake is my biggest issue using the cell phone for close-up coin photos.  When I held still, the results weren't too bad.  I have an anti-shake setting on the camera, but it can only do so much!

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2014, 07:43:46 pm »
Mike's post prompted me to grab the wife and kid, and my brother and his two kids (Isabella and Max) and head to the MFA.

As an independent room, we were actually allowed to stay in the coin room for quite a while without fear of disturbing other patrons with noisy babies and an excited four year-old.  I couldn't believe how much my daughter loved the museum (she's 1, most of you recognize her with the binky..that's Isabella smiling).

We saw some amazing coins and other pieces of ancient art, and here are some pictures to add to the thread.

1st batch: Heading to the Museum, the room layout, and Max with the mummies :)

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2014, 07:49:20 pm »
No pictures of the Magna Carta allowed....which is what I was told when I took this shot.   It looked like an old piece of paper with writing on it.  Really unspectacular IMO.  I'd hate to be the guy who authenticates pieces like that.

Other pics from the coin room.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2014, 07:56:29 pm »
Other displays, a cast bronze from Olbia, and a bronze MFB from another exhibit.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2014, 08:00:37 pm »
No pictures of the Magna Carter allowed....which is what I was told when I took this shot.   It looked like an old piece of paper with writing on it.  Really unspectacular IMO.  I'd hate to be the guy who authenticates pieces like that.

Other pics from the coin room.

The lower pic is a drawing by Delacroix. I know that, because I have one of Delacroix's drawings of ancient coins and immediately recognised the style and looked for its signature. Mine is about 4 inches square. It's somewhere in a box that I haven't excavated after my last house move. Easy to mislay one's Delacroixes.

Magna Carta [sic] not Carter. Indeed an old piece of paper with writing on it as seen in the pic below. Rather like the Declaration of Independence, except 560 years older, sealed under oath by King John at Runnymede, on the bank of the River Thames near Windsor, England, on 15 June 1215. It deals with ideals of democracy, limitation of power, equality and freedom under law. Much of it is still current as law in England, for example Clause 29 states "NO Freeman shall be taken or imprisoned, or be disseised of his Freehold, or Liberties, or free Customs, or be outlawed, or exiled, or any other wise destroyed; nor will We not pass upon him, nor condemn him, but by lawful judgment of his Peers, or by the Law of the land. We will sell to no man, we will not deny or defer to any man either Justice or Right". This and other clauses are still current in law, used as-written in legal arguments and judgements today. It deserves our respect.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2014, 08:04:29 pm »
I'll end with some really fabulous Roman bronze medallions and a Greek tetradrachm.  Look at the pecs on Galienus!!!

Definitely worth the visit.  Several options for lunch within the museum itself, from really classy dining to a cafeteria where kids can go bonkers (we chose that option, but avoided any baby meltdowns).  Saw few gift shops although I saw nothing on ancient coins in the one I went in at the main entrance.  There was another I wanted to hit with an enormous selection of books.  Next time :)

EDIT:  Very cool, Andrew, I'd love to see yours.  Typing fast, Magna "Carta" was right in front of my face   :-[
EDIT 2:  Didn't mean to sound disrespectful with my description of the Magna Carta, sorry.  It does indeed deserve our respect and is much more than "just" an old piece of paper. 

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2014, 08:55:50 pm »
Nick:
I'm glad you made the trip and enjoyed it!  I hope to go again, by myself next time, to spend more time on the individual coins.  The medallions were amazing. I took a photo of that Ant. Pius medallion as well, but for some reason the file size size was too big and I couldn't post it. Thanks for sharing the wider-angle pictures of the exhibit!

The copy of the Magna Carta in the Boston MFA is one of the earliest copies from 1215. I believe it is the Lincoln Cathedral copy. In addition to its political importance, to me it is a remarkable example of the longevity of documents on vellum. With proper care and storage, I suspect vellum documents could last for millenia.

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2014, 10:36:49 pm »
Thank you for the great tour of the exhibit!

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2014, 12:17:30 pm »
I hunted around and eventually found my Delacroix in a dusty box. Picture of the engraving below, with Delacroix' signature enlarged (by me) below; the signature was done by hand after printing, in 1825, and overflows the edge of the printed area. This was presumably a limited edition.

A similar one to that shown by Molinari can be seen on the MFA site described as "Feuille de douze médailles antiques, 1825, by Eugène Delacroix, French, 1798–1863, gift of the estate of W. G. Russell Allen (b. 1882 - d. 1955)"

The reversal of the letters suggests Delacroix may have engraved directly onto a plate. What coins are in mine? I recognise Thouroi with bull, indeed this is the exact bull that the Irish Shilling (1928-2001) reverse type is based on. What else is there?

It's larger than my recollection, the printed area being 8" wide, 7" deep (20x18cm).

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2014, 01:20:37 pm »
I like your Delacroix, Andrew. It should be hung on a wall, not stored in a box.

Offline OldMoney

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • My Site! www.oldmoney.com.au
    • Walter Holt's Old Money
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2014, 01:53:29 pm »
Andrew, clockwise from top left:

Pisidia, Aspendus
The reversed reverse of a coin similar to this one:
[LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Bruttium, The Brettii
Again, the reversed reverse of a coin similar to this one:

http://wildwinds.com/coins/greece/bruttium/brettii/Scheu_040.1.jpg

Not sure about the third one, could be one of a couple;
perhaps:
The obverse of Sicily, Syracuse, Hieron II (cf.Calciati 195)

http://wildwinds.com/coins/greece/sicily/syracuse/hieron_II/Calciati_195.8.jpg
(nb: I think there may be one or two other possibilities)

- and you already know the last one.

Walter Holt
Coins of Ephesus
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/ephesuscoins
Walter Holt's Old Money - Ancient Coins
https://www.oldmoney.com.au
Sydney, Australia

All coins are guaranteed for eternity