Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Caligula AR Denarius- Reverse type apparently unlisted for this issue.  (Read 699 times)

Offline Joe Geranio

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Joe and Caligula at the Getty
    • Julio Claudian Coins and Art
2 unlisted TRP IIII Caligulan AR's.  (Germanicus reverse head right and reverse S • P• Q • R •/P P/OB • C • S • in three lines within oak wreath).  http://www.ancientcoins.ca/RIC/ Click on Caligula and look for unlisted?  

I have been known to get emotional about Julio Claudian coin collecting, but no more then i do when bidding on CCAESARS precious metals.  (The One that got away!) See my small blog on a TRP IIII AR.  https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Caligulas%20Denarii%20from%2041%20A.D.-%20%20C%20CAESAR%20%95%20AVG%20%95%20PON%20%95%20M%20%95%20TR%20%95%20POT%20IIII%20COS%20%95%20IIII-%20%20Joe%20Geranio

WHEN I THINK OF HOLDING IN MY HAND A PIECE OF HISTORY FROM BETWEEN JAN1 -JAN 24 41 A.D. IT SHOULD ADD SOME VALUE TO THE COIN?  IT SEEMS TO BE THE MOST UNDER RATED DATE ON CALIGULA'S AR's.  

Caligula and Divus Augustus. 37-41 AD. Denarius, 3.71g. (h). Lugdunum, 41 AD. Obv: C CAESAR AVG GERM PON M TR POT IIII COS IIII Laureate head of Caligula right. Rx: GERMANICVS CAES P C CAES AVG GERM Bare head of Germanicus right. Reverse type apparently unlisted for this issue. Some encrustation. Lightly toned. About EF/VF.
Extremely rare denarius of Caligula's fourth consulship, which only lasted from 1 January 41 until his assassination on 24 January, and with a new reverse type for the issue. Giard, Lyon (1983), p. 145, knew no aurei of Caligula at all dated COS IIII, and only four denarii, one in Oxford with reverse Divus Augustus, two in Vienna and Mazzini with reverse Agrippina I, and one in a Bourgey sale of 1913 with reverse SPQR P P OB C S in oak wreath. BM 32 may be a second denarius with this last reverse type, but the reading of the dates in the obverse legend requires confirmation. Our Germanicus reverse type, previously unknown, thus completes the expected set of four denarius reverse types for Caligula's final issue of January 41. The obverse die of our denarius appears to be different from those of BM 32 and the four coins reported by Giard .   GEMINI SALE
http://www.geminiauction.com

The 3rd photo here is the "one that got away from me"  In CNGs sale.  Here is a CNG note:  Gaius (Caligula). AD 37-41. AR Denarius (3.62 g, 5h). Rome mint. Struck January AD 41. C CAESARAVG • PON • M • TR • POT IIII COS • IIII, laureate head right / S • P• Q • R •/P P/OB • C • S • in three lines within oak wreath. RIC I -; RIC I (1st ed.) 7 = BMCRE 32 = RSC 23a. VF, lightly toned, scattered marks, minor porosity. Extremely rare final issue, the third known.

Ex Triton IX (10 January 2006), lot 1392.

Although the first of these three rare coins, the British Museum piece, was cataloged in the first edition of RIC I, it was left out of the revised edition. In that edition, Giard notes (p. 110, note *) that the BM piece was a misreading of TR POT III COS III. In fact, the first edition was correct, the piece was not misdescribed. The second known example of this type was sold as lot 56 in the Bourgey sale of 17 December 1913. Ironically, Bourgey misdescribed that coin as TR POT III COS III.

JOE GERANIO
JCIA

2nd PHOTO-

p.s. Unlisted? see:  Unlisted
AR denarius - RIC I, - SEE:  http://www.ancientcoins.ca/RIC/   THEN click on Caligula, almost half way down page with this photo from CNG>  

Gaius (Caligula), with Germanicus. AD 37-41. AR Denarius (3.46 g, 6h). Lugdunum (Lyon) mint. Struck January AD 41. C CAESAR AVG PONT TR POT IIII COS IIII, Laureate head of Gaius (Caligula) right / GERMANICVS CAES P C CAES AVG GERM, Bare head of Germanicus right. RIC I 30/26 (for obv./rev. type); Lyon 185/181 (for obv./rev. type); RSC -. (text courtesy CNG)

In Gemini sale in 2011 4/14 this issue from Gemini photo 1 sold for $4,250.
In CNG sale in 2008 9/17 this is from CNG sold for $1,910.   From the Gordon S. Parry Collection. Ex Ponterio 47 (8 March 1991), lot 1450.

HERE IS A LINK TO THE TRP IIII ON PAWN STARS.   HE DID NOT EVEN THE MENTION OF THE RARITY OF THE DATE?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEOtjnP2hlQ
CCAESAR

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
Joe:

Regarding the one that got away - chances are the winning bidder would have gone higher than the $2600 winning bid and likely higher than your $3k limit. You cannot assume that you would have won the lot at one bid increment.  So, don't loose sleep over it!  Another one will come along.

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins

HERE IS A LINK TO THE TRP IIII ON PAWN STARS.   HE DID NOT EVEN THE MENTION OF THE RARITY OF THE DATE?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEOtjnP2hlQ

Your YouTube video is considerable edited down from what appeared on the show where he did cover the coin being made in the last 24 days of the reign.  Look up the episode called 'In the Doghouse - 19 June 2014' and watch the whole thing. 

Offline Joe Geranio

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Thanks, I did not think he would miss mentioning the date.
CCAESAR

Offline Joe Geranio

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Thanks Caur, that eases the pain a bit.
CCAESAR

All coins are guaranteed for eternity