Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unusual Anonymous Follis  (Read 537 times)

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Unusual Anonymous Follis
« on: June 26, 2014, 08:14:29 pm »
Does anyone have any idea what this is?  The reverse looks like a Class C follis, and I suppose the obverse does too -- except for the small border that cuts Christ's 3/4 length figure into a bust

The border seems strange, partly because of its deep groove and partly because it cuts into the nimbus.   

So what is this?  Unofficial issue?  Recut die?  Anyone seen one like this before?

Offline Posa

• Consul
Re: Unusual Anonymous Follis
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 07:04:35 am »
To me, the odd shape AV is a result of mechanical processing, maybe by something like a lathe? Coins were often processed in order to reuse it as a weight. Whats the weight of your coin?

Best regards Posa

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Unusual Anonymous Follis
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 03:49:11 am »
Interesting theory!

My scale is not very accurate, but the reading is 7.0g

All coins are guaranteed for eternity