Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: KevinA - Before  (Read 1204 times)

Offline KevinA

• Legionary
KevinA - Before
« on: June 24, 2014, 10:12:41 am »
Alright, I'll have a go at the Neverending. This should be interesting, since my focus until now has been Severan denarii, and all my references reflect where my research has been. Still, the idea of cleaning a crusty old coin is something that intrigues me, so we'll see how it goes.

I just received these from FORUM yesterday. All orientations are based on the obverse, so the reverse angles are indicative of the die orientation on each coin.

Offline KevinA

• Legionary
Re: KevinA - Before
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 10:15:33 am »
Some observations and comments pre-cleaning:

Coin #1: 26.5mm, 7.84g.

Details are completely obscured, but this is a big coin, so I have high hopes that enough crust can be removed for identification.

Coin #2: 26mm, 3.63g.

Lots of green crusty bits on this one. I'm a bit skeptical that I'll see much more than what is already visible. Which isn't much.

Coin #3: 20.5mm, 3.56g.

Details are very obscured on the reverse, but the obverse shows some promise for at least a general identification.

Coin #4: 24.5mm (widest), 3.42g.

I THINK I recognize a panther motif on the reverse, and what I can read of the reverse legend suggests LIBERO P CONS AVG. The obverse portrait suggests Gallienus.

Coin #5: 21mm, 2.86g.

I can just make out "IOV" and "VATORI" on the reverse, which leads me to believe the reverse legend is IOVI CONSERVATORI, and the figure is Jupiter. I can just make out "Licin" on the obverse, which suggests Licinius.

Coin #6: 22mm, 1.71g.

I can make out two figures clasping hands on the reverse, but can't identify the face on the obverse or any of the legends. This one seems to have a "desert patina", I'm assuming that I should be trying to preserve this.

Coin #7: 16mm, 3.00g.

I see a figure and what appears to be a standard on the reverse, but can't identify the face on the obverse or any of the legends.

Tonight I'll do the initial scrub with a toothbrush, soap and water and see what happens. The distilled water soak stands by...

Offline Perikles

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 10:35:29 am »
Good luck!

Perikles
Ἐξ ἀνάγκης ἡ τοῦ νομίσματος ἐπορίσθη χρῆσις...,ὃ τῶν χρησίμων αὐτὸ ὂν εἶχε τὴν χρείαν εὐμεταχείριστον πρὸς τὸ ζῆν.
Ἀριστοτέλης, Πολιτικά

Retrospectator

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 10:59:24 am »
I'll be very interested to see how far you'll be able to get with coin 1.
Enjoy.  :)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity