Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: celtic coin???  (Read 699 times)

timakumminus

celtic coin???
« on: June 16, 2014, 03:59:54 pm »
Hy i have a new coin ....but i cant identify it so if anyone know something please tell me :)
p.s i think it is an celtic coin but I am not sure and if anyone know also how much it could be worth :) 
Best regards :)

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: celtic coin???
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 05:25:04 pm »
It's not ancient. I don't know what it is but if it's genuine, it is much younger.
Andreas Reich

timakumminus

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 03:44:37 am »
thank you for your replay :)

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 04:07:17 am »
A funny ending of this mystery.

"Harald" replied to a similar thread on http://www.numismatikforum.de/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=50633&p=425630#p425630

(my humble free translation attempt between the dotted lines:)

This is a so-called "Kaperlheimer" - a detectorist´s token from Austria

These tokens were produces during the eighties by an Austrian metal detector, who was most of the time searching with that kind of hat depicted on the token.
They were cast using different metals, mostly well produced and there are some different image variants.
The obverse always show a detectorist with a detector, headphones and a tool for digging.

He used them as gifts and left them as a kind of "business card" on the visited places.
Well-not just dogs mark their places ....

Meanwhile, these things have even become collector's items and even archaeologists try to get these - somehow crazy.

Obviously the name of the Austrian detectorist was Kaperlheim or Kaperlheimer(?).

Regards

:laugh:

timakumminus

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 05:54:58 am »
Yes , that`s right its an austrian joke coin :) but the best is that he hasn`t very good search the place where he left his visit card I found a lot of coins there and some othere stuff......also it is a searched coin by some arheol. and other nummism. fanatics :) lol very nice hand made coin :) tnx for your help :)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity