Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Mesopotamia?--2 vexilla 1 standard  (Read 504 times)

Offline laney

• Caesar
Mesopotamia?--2 vexilla 1 standard
« on: June 15, 2014, 04:20:09 pm »
AE 15mm, 3.11 g

First, I'm confused by the obv legend, which seems to be MAM.  If it's Julia Mammaea, she's got whiskers.
Secondly, I'm having trouble finding coins with two vexilla and the standard between.  There may be an eagle on top, but I'm not sure.
Thanks much for any help with identification.

Laney

Offline Thilo

• Consul
Re: Mesopotamia?--2 vexilla 1 standard
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 06:23:09 am »
Hi,

sorry. I do not have any references for you but just a link to an earlier discussion:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=93713.0

I would not read the legend as MAM but rather M AN with AN for Antoninus. Thus the coin could either be Caracalla or Elagabalus. Maybe this helps.

Regards

Thilo

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 09:27:26 am »
No clear ID. But thee appears to be G III under the right vexillum.  Possibly for Leg III?  Leg III appeared on a different coin of Elagabalus struck at Tyre.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Kurt E

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 09:48:32 am »
Laney,
   As Thilo has linked, This would likely be attributed to Rhesaena and usually attributed to Caracalla.  There are several variations most with one vexillum and others with 2.  LEG III or some variation is the most common reverse legend.  Lindgren I has three listed with one vexillum.

Kurt

Offline laney

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 11:06:00 am »
Thanks all.
I too think it's Rhaseana, but have not yet found a matching reverse--or strange-looking portrait.

ed3719

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 11:48:05 am »
Hi Laney,

It is Caracalla or Elagabalus from Rhesaena.  The obverse you read is MAN[TWN].  The reverse is unpublished (as far as I know).  Nice coin!

Best,
Edward

Offline laney

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 08:19:31 am »
Thank you Edward.  What is the most comprehensive source reference applicable to coins of this era and location?

Offline Thilo

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 05:48:00 am »
Laney,

I would expect that Castelin, The Coinage of Rhesaena in Mesopotamia (Numismatic Notes and Monographs 108). New York 1946, would cover location and era. However, I do not have it either.

Regards

Thilo

All coins are guaranteed for eternity