Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A Roman coin I cannot identify  (Read 487 times)

Offline Ginolerhino

• Consul
    • My gallery :
A Roman coin I cannot identify
« on: May 26, 2014, 05:22:03 am »
Maybe I'm getting too old but this one does puzzle me.

This is a pic from a PhD submitted 15 years ago. The coin ( AE 21 mm, 1.7 g but part is missing) was not identified by the author, who just says it is Roman, 3rd or 4th C AD. It was found on the ground during a survey in northern Saudi Arabia. Maybe a more precise ID is possible, but I don't find...

If you find what it is, many thanks!

EDIT : For me it could be an antoninianus of Probus, reverse Clementia Temporum, but the style looks unusual, the shape of the letters too. Are oriental imitations of this coinage known?

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
Re: A Roman coin I cannot identify
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 07:24:06 am »
I too think that it is Probus, but I am unsure of the reverse.

Alex.

Offline henrivd

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 02:46:09 am »
I suspect: CLEMENTIA TEMP, Emperor standing right, holding eagle-tipped sceptre and receiving globe from Jupiter, standing left, holding sceptre Wreath in upper centre

Cannot read minmark/officina, so definitive identification will be hard

Could also be: Providentia Deorum, same kind of reverse, 2 figures standing opposite of one another

Offline Ginolerhino

• Consul
    • My gallery :
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 06:09:43 am »
Thank you !!!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity