Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: AE12 Cross ID  (Read 679 times)

Offline ancientone

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
AE12 Cross ID
« on: May 23, 2014, 08:17:04 am »
Any help with ID is much appreciated. 12mm.

Regards,
Charlie

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: AE12 Cross ID
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 12:44:41 pm »
Charlie,

You have a very nice (for the type) billon quarting issued by Sigismund of Luxembourg as King of Hungary (1387-1437) sometime between 1430-1437.  I have seven of these with various mintmarks in my personal gallery, which contains more background about the coin.  Here is a link to one of them:  https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-106356.  I don't have my copy of Pohl with me; when I get a chance over the weekend (if I forget, send me a reminder) I'll look up the mintmark for you and provide what information I can.

Stkp

Offline ancientone

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 01:40:14 pm »
Thank you Stkp. So those are the mint mark. At first I thought they were stars or lions. I'll try and make some sense of them later.

Regards,
Charlie

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 04:15:42 pm »
Pohl lists something like 125 mintmarks for this humble coin, but as far as I can tell, yours is not among them.  This is less uncommon a phenomenon than you might realize, and essentially comparable to a late Roman Bronze coin that is not listed in RIC.

Offline ancientone

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 03:50:56 pm »
Thanks for checking it out!  I'll put "Not listed in Pohl" in my description.

Sorry for the late reply,
Charlie

All coins are guaranteed for eternity