Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins (Moderators: AlexB, quadrans)  |  Topic: AE12 Cross ID 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: AE12 Cross ID  (Read 431 times)
ancientone
Comitia Curiata
Caesar

« on: May 23, 2014, 06:17:04 am »

Any help with ID is much appreciated. 12mm.

Regards,
Charlie

Stkp
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 10:44:41 am »

Charlie,

You have a very nice (for the type) billon quarting issued by Sigismund of Luxembourg as King of Hungary (1387-1437) sometime between 1430-1437.  I have seven of these with various mintmarks in my personal gallery, which contains more background about the coin.  Here is a link to one of them:  http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-106356.  I don't have my copy of Pohl with me; when I get a chance over the weekend (if I forget, send me a reminder) I'll look up the mintmark for you and provide what information I can.

Stkp

ancientone
Comitia Curiata
Caesar

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 11:40:14 am »

Thank you Stkp. So those are the mint mark. At first I thought they were stars or lions. I'll try and make some sense of them later.

Regards,
Charlie

Stkp
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 02:15:42 pm »

Pohl lists something like 125 mintmarks for this humble coin, but as far as I can tell, yours is not among them.  This is less uncommon a phenomenon than you might realize, and essentially comparable to a late Roman Bronze coin that is not listed in RIC.

ancientone
Comitia Curiata
Caesar

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 01:50:56 pm »

Thanks for checking it out!  I'll put "Not listed in Pohl" in my description.

Sorry for the late reply,
Charlie

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins (Moderators: AlexB, quadrans)  |  Topic: AE12 Cross ID « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop